Thought I'd share

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelec

Interesting how opinions differ. I find anything over about 3500 to be hideous.

By the way the same page was touting 5000K for the same price.
I agree with you 3500 max the rest looks to blue to me

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
kelvin should not be the only factor in deciding a LED , CRI and Lumens per watt , and dimmable should be deciding factors as well.

Those are probably the junk line from Sylvania, for temp lighting I am sure ok.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
kelvin should not be the only factor in deciding a LED , CRI and Lumens per watt , and dimmable should be deciding factors as well.
te
Those are probably the junk line from Sylvania, for temp lighting I am sure ok.
OK for temp lighting ax long as the work being done does not require color discrimination. :)

It's easy to forget how much blue there is in daylight compared to incandescent.

I always wondered about color temp - why so many people prefer (or perhaps think they prefer) such orange light which is far from natural light. Could it be people associate higher temp with less quality light from the days of old florescent? Do you think most "actually" prefer 2700k or they just think they do?

Could it be people associate higher temp with less quality light from the days of old florescent? Do you think most "actually" prefer 2700k or they just think they do?

Probably it's a warm/cold association; lower color temp = light from a fire = staying warm. That is, of course, a WAG.

Side note- it is said that the so-called "institutional green" paint color was created so that in yellow gas light it would appear white, but more likely "the color was originally conceived for a noble reason: to reduce the effect of “afterimaging,”"

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Probably it's a warm/cold association; lower color temp = light from a fire = staying warm. That is, of course, a WAG.

Side note- it is said that the so-called "institutional green" paint color was created so that in yellow gas light it would appear white, but more likely "the color was originally conceived for a noble reason: to reduce the effect of “afterimaging,”"

A similar reliable rumour concerning color and light sources-- The snake the "Copperhead" is so named because in the light of a kerosene lantern the snake is copper-colored. So they say.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I think I always wanted my home lighting to resemble incandescent as much as possible because it was what I grew up with in my home. Hence my preference. I also find it just weird and offputting to have daylight spectrum when there isn't enough illumination to resemble actual daylight.

But beyond that, daylight color temperature screws with your sleep cycle. The blue wavelengths inhibit melatonin production which you need to fall asleep.

So if you want a more natural sleep cycle then choose daylight bulbs in windowless areas where you'll be working during the day, and soft white or warm white bulbs in the parts of your home where you plan to relax before bedtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.