Do u ever pigtail lights or just use quick connects

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didnt know if this would hurt the longevity of any of em. I hate quick connects anyways the plastic gets brittle quick from the heat and dry rots then crumbles on you while youre trying to disconnect a live circuit.

Also on a side note what size pig tails do most people use on exit signs.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I didnt know if this would hurt the longevity of any of em. I hate quick connects anyways the plastic gets brittle quick from the heat and dry rots then crumbles on you while youre trying to disconnect a live circuit.

Where are you using these quick connects that they fail so rapidly? Sounds like they are not being applied properly.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Why are you working on a live circuit?

It should be the same size as the branch circuit.

Roger

nickelec

I don't use them , even in high hats I cut them out and wirenut everything together, for receptacles I never put 4 wires on the. I always pigtail

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Must be some cheap knock-offs if the connectors are cracking/drying. I've never seen a quality connector such as Wago, GB, or Ideal Push-in connectors fail by drying out or cracking. With that logic, a plastic wirenut would do the same. Just use quality connectors. The connectors in a Halo can appear to be Wago brand. There are probably some cheap brand lights (not listed) with cheap connectors out there. Use your own judgement on these.

To the OP:
The only time you should be working on a live circuit in lighting is with the required disconnects in fluorescent lighting (for example).
I don't understand your question ..."What size pigtails do you use on Exit Signs"
As Roger said, it depends on the wire size you're using to wire the lights.

Where are you using these quick connects that they fail so rapidly? Sounds like they are not being applied properly.
The quick connects that come with fixtures and some pole lights. Its more of a problem with pole lights but as a ballast fails it puts out a good bit of heat. The quick connects are trapped with it under a belly pan or in a pole light in a small enclosure wirh no ventilation this cooks em and makes em brittle but ive been told the quick connects are supposed to be used. I just didnt know if i could trust the connection they make i wanted a general concensus as i have a few times worked on a layin fixture and the only problem was a bad connection.

Sometimes u cant avoud working on a live circuit.

Must be some cheap knock-offs if the connectors are cracking/drying. I've never seen a quality connector such as Wago, GB, or Ideal Push-in connectors fail by drying out or cracking. With that logic, a plastic wirenut would do the same. Just use quality connectors. The connectors in a Halo can appear to be Wago brand. There are probably some cheap brand lights (not listed) with cheap connectors out there. Use your own judgement on these.

To the OP:
The only time you should be working on a live circuit in lighting is with the required disconnects in fluorescent lighting (for example).
I don't understand your question ..."What size pigtails do you use on Exit Signs"
As Roger said, it depends on the wire size you're using to wire the lights.

Normally we run #12 to them but my boss has me using 12 in the sign and its hard to duct the wires out of the way inside. I figured u could go down to at least 14 maybe even 16 as the pigtails they provide are like 18

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Couldnt we go down to 18 per 240.5(B)(2)? I am just not clear on where the fixture wire begins and the branch circuit ends.
210.19(A)(4) would be the applicable section, 240(B)(2) would be for "fixture wire" not single conductors used as pigtails inside a box.

Roger

kwired

Electron manager
Couldnt we go down to 18 per 240.5(B)(2)? I am just not clear on where the fixture wire begins and the branch circuit ends.
The tap conductor begins wherever the conductor ampacity becomes less than the overcurrent protection.

How long can that tap be, varies sometimes. I think you can have taps run up from the base of a 100 foot light pole in some instances.

Status
Not open for further replies.