Wire size reduction for branch circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.
My company installed LED lights in a school. The branch circuit is a 20 amp breaker with 12-2 wire. We installed 40 watt LED panels and a ceiling sensor with 14-3 MC from the switch leg box. The inspector failed us do to the fact the breaker is 20 amp therefore all wire must be 12 gauge. The ceiling sensor only draws 3 amps and has 18 wire hooked up internally. I referenced 240.5 (B)(2) witch states 14 can be used as fixture wire on a 20 amp breaker, but also went to table 402.3 and THWN is no listed. Is there any other code I should reference?
Thanks all

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The reference is that the inspector is correct. The sensor is part of the branch circuit not part of the fixture wiring so it must be 12 awg, IMO [MENTION=160324]D_Norris[/MENTION]

Last edited:

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
My company installed LED lights in a school. The branch circuit is a 20 amp breaker with 12-2 wire. We installed 40 watt LED panels and a ceiling sensor with 14-3 MC from the switch leg box. The inspector failed us do to the fact the breaker is 20 amp therefore all wire must be 12 gauge. The ceiling sensor only draws 3 amps and has 18 wire hooked up internally. I referenced 240.5 (B)(2) witch states 14 can be used as [Red]fixture wire on a 20 amp breaker, [Red]but also went to table 402.3 and THWN is no listed. Is there any other code I should reference?
Thanks all

Fixture Wire is the wire that is located on the inside of light fixtures. The Branch Circuit wiring is the wiring from the breaker to the outlet box.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree, the #14 conductors are part of the branch circuit and must be a minimum of 20 amps unless you want to install 15 amp circuit breakers.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
But what is the wire in the whip of a troffer? I always thought that was "fixture wire", as I dont see how it could be so small if it isnt.
If it is part of the fixture and its listing it is not under the NEC.

Roger

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Wire from remote ballast can be #14, #16 depending on distance.
It's considered part of the fixture. Or was code could have changed from the last time I did any work.

gar

Occupation
EE
190506-2136 EDT

Any wiring in series with branch circuit wiring that can carry total branch circuit current, in this case rated 20 A, must be able to handle that rated current.

The wire in a load that only connects to a branch circuit only has to carry the current to that particular load. Somewhat the assumption is that the current in the load is only the current of that load, and over normal current is not expected in the individual load. Under some sort of shorting conditions the current in the individual load could be higher than its normal current and might overheat the insulation of the smaller wire. But this is tolerated by the way the code is written. Extension cords are an example of a possible problem, and overloaded extension cords have caused fires.

To understand this problem you need to consider that many branch circuits have several parallel loads on the circuit. These loads are individually smaller than the circuit rating. Thus, current to an individual load is smaller than the total circuit load. But when you look at the total circuit, then the circuit current is the sum of all the individual loads.

This is why you need to understand circuit theory and analysis.

kwired

Electron manager
Fixture Wire is the wire that is located on the inside of light fixtures. The Branch Circuit wiring is the wiring from the breaker to the outlet box.
Fixture wire might extend from luminiare to where it connects to the branch circuit wiring - like a whip from a troffer to a junction box with branch circuit wiring in it.

But what is the wire in the whip of a troffer? I always thought that was "fixture wire", as I dont see how it could be so small if it isnt.
It can be fixture wire it can be branch circuit wire. An allowable tap conductor here doesn't have to be "fixture wire" either.

[h=2]402.10Uses Permitted.[/h][FONT=&quot]Fixture wires shall be permitted (1) for installation in luminaires and in similar equipment where enclosed or protected and not subject to bending or twisting in use, or (2) for connecting luminaires to the branch-circuit conductors supplying the luminaires.[/FONT]
Wouldn't (2) include the conductors in a "whip" or even conductors ran up a lighting pole to a single luminaire?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
That would be a fixture tap and fall under 402.5 and 240.5(B)(2).
And 240.5(B)(2) requires the use of fixture wire. Building wire of the same size is not permitted for that application. The only permitted wire types for that application are found in Table 402.3.

kwired

Electron manager
And 240.5(B)(2) requires the use of fixture wire. Building wire of the same size is not permitted for that application. The only permitted wire types for that application are found in Table 402.3.
I don't see it requiring fixture taps to be fixture wire, it simply states allowable sizes to be used with different branch circuit ratings.

410.117(C) allows any conductor type with suitable temp rating for the application to be used as a fixture tap, though that section applies to flush and recessed luminaires.

410.62 (cord connected luminaires)also allows, with conditions, the use of smaller conductors than the branch circuit conductors.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't see it requiring fixture taps to be fixture wire, it simply states allowable sizes to be used with different branch circuit ratings.

410.117(C) allows any conductor type with suitable temp rating for the application to be used as a fixture tap, though that section applies to flush and recessed luminaires.

410.62 (cord connected luminaires)also allows, with conditions, the use of smaller conductors than the branch circuit conductors.
The wording in 240.5(B)(2) says those sizes are fixture wire. When you buy a pre-made whip with conductors smaller than 14, they are always made up using fixture wire.
240.5(B)(2) Fixture Wire. Fixture wire shall be permitted to be tapped to the branch-circuit conductor of a branch circuit in accordance with the following: ...
The types of conductors that are fixture wire are listed in Table 402.3.

The wording in 240.5(B)(2) says those sizes are fixture wire. When you buy a pre-made whip with conductors smaller than 14, they are always made up using fixture wire.

So I could take any light fixture and use up to 50 feet of 18 AWG fixture wire in a chapter three raceway to connect it to the branch circuit? OR does it have to come from the factory as part of the fixture to use 240.5(B)(2)?

kwired

Electron manager

It does not say tap conductors must be fixture wire, it along with the table tell us what size/length fixture wire is acceptable on certain branch circuits.

Other sections I mentioned have situations where tap conductors can be used and no mention of fixture wire - 410.117 even mentions MC or AC cable which won't have fixture wire in them.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
So I could take any light fixture and use up to 50 feet of 18 AWG fixture wire in a chapter three raceway to connect it to the branch circuit? OR does it have to come from the factory as part of the fixture to use 240.5(B)(2)?
Yes, you are permitted to do that, as long as it feeds a single fixture.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It does not say tap conductors must be fixture wire, it along with the table tell us what size/length fixture wire is acceptable on certain branch circuits.

Other sections I mentioned have situations where tap conductors can be used and no mention of fixture wire - 410.117 even mentions MC or AC cable which won't have fixture wire in them.
I stand by my statement that if you are using conductors smaller than 14 AWG and protected in accordance with the ampacities shown in 240.5(B)(2), you are required to use fixture wire. 410.117 says nothing about the required overcurrent protection of the "tap conductor".

Gary11734

My company installed LED lights in a school. The branch circuit is a 20 amp breaker with 12-2 wire. We installed 40 watt LED panels and a ceiling sensor with 14-3 MC from the switch leg box. The inspector failed us do to the fact the breaker is 20 amp therefore all wire must be 12 gauge. The ceiling sensor only draws 3 amps and has 18 wire hooked up internally. I referenced 240.5 (B)(2) witch states 14 can be used as fixture wire on a 20 amp breaker, but also went to table 402.3 and THWN is no listed. Is there any other code I should reference?
Thanks all

#14 in a school? I don't think so!

Check their specs. I assure you, no #14. The code doesnt matter when you enter the ivory towers of school work...

kwired

Electron manager
I stand by my statement that if you are using conductors smaller than 14 AWG and protected in accordance with the ampacities shown in 240.5(B)(2), you are required to use fixture wire. 410.117 says nothing about the required overcurrent protection of the "tap conductor".
If you are using smaller than 14 AWG I agree, it must be fixture wire, my point all along here has been that use of tap conductors is not limited to fixture wire only.

Status
Not open for further replies.