Converting 25 8'x2 fluorescents to LED - 30' ceiling warehouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting 25 8'x2 fluorescents to LED - 30' ceiling warehouse

Hi. My first job with fluorescent LED replacement. This is for a large t-shirt printing facility. 30' ceilings.

Any recommendations/experience with brands to use? website? lumens & color temperature?

I plan to keep existing fixtures and use LED lamps, by-passing ballast.

Thanks

Keystone is a popular brand. 4000K minimum, 5000 is even better IMO.

Be sure and rent a scissor lift.
    If Billy Idol is on your playlist go reevaluate your life.

Comment

Originally posted by dinotone View Post
      I plan to keep existing fixtures and use LED lamps, by-passing ballast.
      I agree 100% about taking the ballasts out of the circuit!
      Master Electrician
      Electrical Contractor
      Richmond, VA

Comment

I only have a little experience with this. Each time I had to replace the tombstones on the feed side of the LED tube with different non-shunted tombstones. The first time I did not expect this and switched on to a bolted fault. I also did this first replacement in my own shop...

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
          I only have a little experience with this. Each time I had to replace the tombstones on the feed side of the LED tube with different non-shunted tombstones. The first time I did not expect this and switched on to a bolted fault. I also did this first replacement in my own shop...
          The newer tubes that I use can be wired either on one end or both. ie; same end- one pin hot the other neutral
          different ends - hot on one end, neutral on the other. Shunted sockets won't matter on the different end wiring.
          [COLOR=navy]If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time![/COLOR]

Comment

Yes, I meant to include there are both types available and make sure you are ready for it.

Comment

OP said 8' fixtures, which likely means single pin tombstones.
              If Billy Idol is on your playlist go reevaluate your life.

Comment

I did miss that. Definitely bypass those ballasts!

Comment

Originally posted by ActionDave View Post
                  Now why do you have to mess everything up by bringing up the facts?
                  [COLOR=navy]If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time![/COLOR]

Comment

Are you the one specifying the lamp, what is in there now?
                    T-shirt means color reproduction, 4200k. http://www.americangreenlights.com/c...ing-index.html Start reading, also search this site, Mike Holt, .
                    8' fixture, what style lamp, single pin, high out put?
                    Last edited by sameguy; 05-03-19, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ActionDave View Post
                      There are kits out there that can convert those 8' fixtures to "tandem" 4 footers. 4 foot lamps are easier to come by and more variety of choices than 8 foot AFAIK, even if still using fluorescent lamps.
                      I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Bill View Post
                        Now why do you have to mess everything up by bringing up the facts?
                        he does that periodically.
                        ~New signature under construction.~
                        ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by sameguy View Post
                          Are you the one specifying the lamp, what is in there now?
                          T-shirt means color reproduction, 4200k. http://www.americangreenlights.com/c...ing-index.html Start reading, also search this site, Mike Holt, .
                          8' fixture, what style lamp, single pin, high out put?
                          4200K is too yellow. 4800-5000K is better.

Comment

This forum is awesome. Thanks so much for all the responses.

These are all 8' single-pin tombstones. Actually about 80 fixtures total. Currently 110 watt T12 CW bulbs, with about 50% of them not working at all! The workers are going to be soo happy. I'm planning on bringing extra tombstones assuming some of the existing are going to have issues. I will be renting a scissor lift.

Comment

Originally posted by dinotone View Post
                              This forum is awesome. Thanks so much for all the responses.

These are all 8' single-pin tombstones. Actually about 80 fixtures total. Currently 110 watt T12 CW bulbs, with about 50% of them not working at all! The workers are going to be soo happy. I'm planning on bringing extra tombstones assuming some of the existing are going to have issues. I will be renting a scissor lift.
                              Do you have 8 foot retrofit lamps? Even in past when retrofitting with T8 fluorescents, many still used the kit to convert them to 4' tandem fixtures as the 4 foot lamps were the better way to go for the most part. I think they are less cost just because the volume of 4 footers out there compared to 8 footers, and you only need to stock one replacement type lamp instead of two types.
                              I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Working...
                              X