X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kwired
    replied
    Originally posted by LarryFine View Post
    I may have understood him, but I am seeing answers ranging from agreeing with me to 10% of the pole plus 2 feet.

https://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=111308
    One of them suggested 1/3 the length of the pole.

50 foot long pole, 16.7 feet in the ground, 33.3 above ground

Leave a comment:

• LarryFine
    replied
    I may have understood him, but I am seeing answers ranging from agreeing with me to 10% of the pole plus 2 feet.

https://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=111308

Leave a comment:

• kwired
    replied
    That's what my friend the EE who is well versed in power distribution systems tells me.
    Maybe you have different combination of expected wind speeds, soil conditions, etc than we do that justifies this. I don't think most the POCO trucks around here even have digger auger that will go that deep. Not saying they can't install a longer one or some kind of extension but what is typically mounted on the trucks won't go that deep as is. I've watched them set a lot of poles over the years.

Now maybe if they are setting even taller transmission poles they might go deeper, but I don't see that up close or for that matter that often period.

Leave a comment:

• LarryFine
    replied
    Originally posted by kwired View Post
    So you are saying most the distribution poles where you are (which typically are at least going to have ~ 30 above grade are planted 13 feet deep?
    That's what my friend the EE who is well versed in power distribution systems tells me.

Leave a comment:

• kwired
    replied
    Exactly right.
    So you are saying most the distribution poles where you are (which typically are at least going to have ~ 30 above grade are planted 13 feet deep? I can't tell you exactly how deep they are around here, but I'd bet few are any deeper than 8 -10 feet with majority of those being closer to 8 instead of 10. Even in the sand areas.

Leave a comment:

• LarryFine
    replied
    That would be a 13 foot deep hole for a 40 foot pole, and only 27 of it would be above grade.
    Exactly right.

Leave a comment:

• kwired
    replied
    Yes, but they're 1/3 in the ground in relatively snug-fitting holes, not tamped earth.
    They don't put that much of them in the ground here. That would be a 13 foot deep hole for a 40 foot pole, and only 27 of it would be above grade.

Guy wires are partially for the sake of the base, but also are for lateral strain relief on pole itself from conductor load.

Leave a comment:

• sameguy
    replied
    Could be guyed.
    Also are connected to each other.

Leave a comment:

• LarryFine
    replied
    Originally posted by hbiss View Post
    That's all we do with utility poles.
    Yes, but they're 1/3 in the ground in relatively snug-fitting holes, not tamped earth.

Leave a comment:

• hbiss
    replied
    Sorry, but I disagree with this. Experience with a simple wood fence.
    That's all we do with utility poles.

-Hal

Leave a comment:

• kwired
    replied
    Well I have had a few times where I put more dirt back into hole than was taken out.

Leave a comment:

• LarryFine
    replied
    Really good job of tamping soil could be just as good.

Leave a comment:

• kwired
    replied
    Originally posted by MNSparky View Post
    The difference in my eyes is big cost savings. In the past, I’ve hired a concrete guy to make the rebar cages, pour the footings and then hired a crane to set the poles. In this case, we dug a hole 4’ deep, was able to set the poles by hand with three guys fairly easily since they are aluminum and we are just dropping them in a hole, not up on bolts (no crane) and we mixed 5 bags of concrete for each pole ourselves in a wheelbarrow (no concrete contractor, the concrete just needs to be heavy, not any particular strength). It was a little extra work for us, but we saved I’m guessing $3500 in subs.

The reason I went this direction in the first place is we needed to put these poles out in a field with no road access. We couldn’t have cranes or concrete trucks drive on the sports fields as they’d destroy them. The poles were light enough for two guys to easily carry them the several hundred feet to the locations.
    I see what you are getting at now. It doesn't have a concrete base, just concrete fill around it. Really good job of tamping soil could be just as good.

Leave a comment:

• MNSparky
    replied
    The difference in my eyes is big cost savings. In the past, I’ve hired a concrete guy to make the rebar cages, pour the footings and then hired a crane to set the poles. In this case, we dug a hole 4’ deep, was able to set the poles by hand with three guys fairly easily since they are aluminum and we are just dropping them in a hole, not up on bolts (no crane) and we mixed 5 bags of concrete for each pole ourselves in a wheelbarrow (no concrete contractor, the concrete just needs to be heavy, not any particular strength). It was a little extra work for us, but we saved I’m guessing $3500 in subs.

The reason I went this direction in the first place is we needed to put these poles out in a field with no road access. We couldn’t have cranes or concrete trucks drive on the sports fields as they’d destroy them. The poles were light enough for two guys to easily carry them the several hundred feet to the locations.

Leave a comment:

• kwired
    replied
    Originally posted by MNSparky View Post
    I just did my first job with direct buried poles. They were 5” round aluminum, 20’ above grade and 4’ below, with a double bullhorn and two 300w flood lights for a sports field. The pole supplier did all the calcs for the soil type, I just needed backfill with coarse gravel or concrete. I went concrete. They went really well, I was impressed. A lot cheaper than getting footings poured as well.
    What is the significant difference if you filled the hole with concrete anyway? Only 20' pole (above grade) doesn't need anything too special of a footing if it just has a couple luminaires on it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X