Retro Fit T-8 to LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Some advice on retrofitting T-8 to LED
1. Some systems have the ballast removed, and LED lamps wired direct to the tombstones. Are there any listing issues with this?
2. Use LED lamps that work with existing ballast...is this less efficient than a LED fixture with no ballast

The retro fit is for T-8 Strip Lights.
Thank you.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
1. Some systems have the ballast removed, and LED lamps wired direct to the tombstones. Are there any listing issues with this?
They need to be wired as listed, and the re-wired label applied.

2. Use LED lamps that work with existing ballast...is this less efficient than a LED fixture with no ballast.
In my opinion, yes; how could they not waste power?

I greatly prefer option #1 for any retro-fit.

I agree with Larry, it just seems like a bad idea to use the ballast, more losses and another failure point.

I always questioned putting 120 to the tombstones though. But most ballast bypass tubes come with new tombstones, fwiw.

peter d

The LED tubes that work with ballasts are great for quick and easy retrofits, in fact there's a lighting company here that retrofits your current system with new T8 ballast and LED tubes.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I haven't replaced tombstones on either a T-12 to T-8 conversion or an LED conversion. Why does it seem to be an issue?

480sparky

Always do a ballast by-pass. I've got customers who did the lamp-swap only to save money up front, but now they're paying for it in ballast replacements.

.........I always questioned putting 120 to the tombstones though...........

Egads..... every tombstone I've ever seen is rated for 600 volts. Besides, have you ever looked up the voltage output of a ballast?

Always do a ballast by-pass. I've got customers who did the lamp-swap only to save money up front, but now they're paying for it in ballast replacements.

Egads..... every tombstone I've ever seen is rated for 600 volts. Besides, have you ever looked up the voltage output of a ballast?

Yes I know the ballast has a higher voltage. Just wondering if perhaps they aren't rated for the current, and the available short circuit current. Don't get me wrong, I do it and don't lose sleep over it, just a curiosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.