Access to can light junction box from below

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
I installed some of these new recessed lights. They have a 2.5" opening. It appears there is no way to access the junction box once the drywall has been installed. Is anyone familiar with this product?
Am I missing something?

http://www.trace-lite.com/resources/01_tracelite_literature/01_web-specs/bled2.pdf[/URL]

Can1.jpg can2.jpg Can1.jpg can2.jpg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It looks like the J-box can be accessed through the ceiling hole if you remove the reflector. Whether you can fit your hand through that hole is another matter.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Given that your luminaire is LED, there will be a driver that may well need servicing at some point. Removing and re-applying the line side wirenuts is what my local AHJ wants demonstrated. In your case, the only hardware that will allow this is in the remodel configuration.

I have roughed in loose tails and after the rock is taped I've cut in the remodel units.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Like Ok Larry Fine said.
Just remove the white portion of the housing stick your tiny hands in there remove the access cover to the j-box portion of he housing and pull the splices through the housing opening.
I try to make my pig tails as long as possible for this situation.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Given that your luminaire is LED, there will be a driver that may well need servicing at some point. Removing and re-applying the line side wirenuts is what my local AHJ wants demonstrated. In your case, the only hardware that will allow this is in the remodel configuration.

I have roughed in loose tails and after the rock is taped I've cut in the remodel units.

Looking at the OP's lights the housing just has a 120 volt connector to connect to the trim. The driver is part of the trim. Access is still required to the junction box but in reality should never need access once installed.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Looking at the OP's lights the housing just has a 120 volt connector to connect to the trim. The driver is part of the trim. Access is still required to the junction box but in reality should never need access once installed.

My AHJ doesn't have an allowance for "in reality should. . . ", only that a 110.14 electrical connection can be made, in the future, on the branch circuit conductors in the luminaire junction box.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My AHJ doesn't have an allowance for "in reality should. . . ", only that a 110.14 electrical connection can be made, in the future, on the branch circuit conductors in the luminaire junction box.

I never said the junction box didn't need to be accessible. It is accessible by removing the inner housing. It's just not going to be much fun. If there was a driver attached to the box I worry more about better access since it will need to be replaced at some point and I may be the one stuck doing it.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
All new construction recessed fixtures have a junction box that is inside the ceiling. If there is no attic, that junction box is not accessible without removing drywall. I never thought about it before but that is a code violation. Still, I have installed many and never had an inspector complain.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
All new construction recessed fixtures have a junction box that is inside the ceiling. If there is no attic, that junction box is not accessible without removing drywall.
Every one I remember installing can be accessed if you remove the can from the frame, which can be done from inside the room.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
Box only has opening on one side

Box only has opening on one side

The junction box of the fixture I posted is not accessible from below. There is a cover on only one side. There is no access through the fixture since the hole is too small for a hand and if you can get your hand in there the junction box is not accessible.

Every recessed light fixture, bathroom exhaust fan, heater etc. that I have installed permits access to the splice box from below.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The junction box of the fixture I posted is not accessible from below. There is a cover on only one side. There is no access through the fixture since the hole is too small for a hand and if you can get your hand in there the junction box is not accessible.

Every recessed light fixture, bathroom exhaust fan, heater etc. that I have installed permits access to the splice box from below.
Well I guess you have to install a code compliant light fixture that will work with the customers specs.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician

You answered your own question then, like knuckle dragger said, it looks like you need to be using a different, compliant fixture.

Well I guess you have to install a code compliant light fixture that will work with the customers specs.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Yes, it has a UL listing. I am just surprised to a see a fixture that is not compliant is available in the "legitimate" electrical market place.
Wouldn't the "listing" indicate that somehow it is compliant?
The fixture can be installed, and deemed "accessible", where there is an attic that allows access to the housing junction box from above . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.