0-10 dimming LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I received a specification for a bid asking for 0-10 volt dimming LED lighting which I do not understand. Can someone point me at a tutorial for this type of product? How is installing the circuits for this stuff different?

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
OK so I've done further research and have additional questions I have not found answers for.

The dimmers have both 0-10v dimming wires and line voltage switch leg wires. The LED drivers are sending 10v to the dimmer (current sink). I keep seeing advice to not run the control wires and line voltage wires in the same conduit (class 1 style) so I'd like to run them separately (class 2). I assume the class 2 wiring does not need to be in conduit. I saw a spec that said 18 gauge stranded was best choice for low volt cable.

How is the dimmer j-box designed? Does there need to be separate high voltage and low voltage sides with a separator? I think the cable just exits the box after connecting to the dimmer.

How is the low voltage cable run? I believe I'm not allowed to zip-tie the cable to the outside of the high voltage conduit. Do I run them side-by-side with separate support for the low volt cable?

Where the dimmer is controlling multiple fixtures, do I connect the control wires in parallel?

I'm still looking for a tutorial. If anybody can point me to a website or book that explains how to install this stuff in detail it would be appreciated.

mike7330

http://www.afcweb.com/mc-metal-clad-cables/mc-luminary-type-mc-pcs/mc-luminary/

http://www.afcweb.com/mc-metal-clad-cables/mc-luminary-type-mc-pcs/mc-luminary/

Your over thinking
Just parallel you greys and purples from dimmer to last fixture
And your hot and neutral the same
Most fixtures have separate compartments for the different classes of wires if you want to run class 2 wiring

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
The dimmers have both 0-10v dimming wires and line voltage switch leg wires. The LED drivers are sending 10v to the dimmer (current sink). I keep seeing advice to not run the control wires and line voltage wires in the same conduit (class 1 style) so I'd like to run them separately (class 2). I assume the class 2 wiring does not need to be in conduit. I saw a spec that said 18 gauge stranded was best choice for low volt cable.

How is the dimmer j-box designed? Does there need to be separate high voltage and low voltage sides with a separator? I think the cable just exits the box after connecting to the dimmer.

How is the low voltage cable run? I believe I'm not allowed to zip-tie the cable to the outside of the high voltage conduit. Do I run them side-by-side with separate support for the low volt cable?

Where the dimmer is controlling multiple fixtures, do I connect the control wires in parallel?

I'm still looking for a tutorial. If anybody can point me to a website or book that explains how to install this stuff in detail it would be appreciated.

you can get MC cable with purple and gray in it already. there ya go.
connect in parallell. polarity on purple and gray makes a difference.
keep them purple to purple, and gray to gray.

for this to get clear for you, take a 0-10 dimming LED, and stick the
black and white leads into an extension cord.

the light will go on, full bright.

touch the purple and gray together. the light will go full dim.

that is how it works. the 0-10 v. dimmer turns the power on with a switch,
and varies the brightness with a rheostat.

note: if you touch the purple and gray together, and nothing dims,
it is not a 0-10 ballast, but a digital one. different thing entirely.
mix them together, and nothing will work at all.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
All commercial grade led fixtures will have 0 10V dimming.
Quite a few are 1-10V rather than 0-10V. Not my field but my colleagues in our lighting division corrected me on that on more than a few occasions.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I’ve yet to see an LED fixture with a separate compartment for the 0-10v. I run them all together (if #12 THHN 120v for instance, I’ll use purple/grey THHN for my 0-10v). If you’re cabling, you can use MC luminary cable that has the conductors within the same sheath. Southwire even has PCS-Duo romex cable with 0-10v.

The dimmer will get line voltage like any other switch along with the purple/grey that you run to all the fixtures.

If it’s a 3-way circuit, wire it like any other and only run the purple/grey to where your dimmer will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.