This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4-Way Dimmer

[COLOR=#000000]I want to install a dimmer switch in a 4-way switch scenario.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000]I have a ceiling light (just a light, no fan) that is operated by three individual toggle switches - one at the bottom of the steps, one at the top, and the third is in an adjacent room.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000]I want to put a dimmer in the box at the bottom of the steps. When I open the box, there are two 12-3 w/ground wires coming into it. The black wires from each 12-3 are wire-nutted together, leaving one red and one white wire from each 12-3. The 4-way switch is wired in the standard manner - one set (white/red) to the screws marked 'input', the others to the screws marked 'output'.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000]Presently, everything works fine, just want to remove that particular 4-way switch and put in a dimmer. Does someone make a 4-way dimmer, and if there is one out there, does it work in this particular box? (putting the dimmer in a different location doesn't make sense). Can a 3-way dimmer switch be used? If so, I can't find any info on which wires would go where...)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000]My first thought was to get a light that would have one bulb and to use a bulb that could be linked to a smartphone or wifi, but the new light has (6) candle-style bulbs. I can't go into the walls or do any extra wiring, so I will go without the dimmer if that's my only choice.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000]Any tips or info would be appreciated.[/COLOR]

You should contact a local electrical contractor to help you.

With that said I am closing the thread in accordance with the forum rules.

[COLOR=#333333]This site is designed for:
    [/COLOR]

[LIST=|INDENT=1][*]Electrical Contractors[*]Electricians[*]Engineers[*]Inspectors[*]Instructors[*]Other electrically related individuals[/LIST]

[COLOR=#333333]* This NEC´┐Ż Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#333333]

Roger
    [/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
    X