Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sign repair for a bar in California

6 letter old looking neon sign. The letters are ~30’ tall.

The H is off 100% of the time.

The G is off 95% off then 100% on, intermittently.

Can anyone point me to a good thread on old neon signs?

Much appreciated,

Rob
    robertnathanalm@gmail.com

How many transformers and how are they grouped?

If the H is sharing with another letter, I’d guess it probably needs to be re-gassed. Probably the case with your other letter but you can get a neon wand tester to be sure. You can check the wiring connections on the flashing letter and make sure they’re not broken.

I quit working on them a few years ago when the last neon shop here closed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [COLOR="Blue"]Brought to you by Carl's Jr.[/COLOR]

Comment

I used to see external to the sign transformers in the 70's. Then in the 90's I ran into gas station canopy lettering that had the transformer inside of each letter.

I think the 1st thing is to figure out how to remove a 30' tall letter face. How far off the ground is the bottom of that 30' letter? Or are you saying the letters are up in the air 30' (top or bottom)?

Anyway, if you don't have the equipment and experience, this could be a costly education. Personally, I'd leave it to the sign company.

Comment

If you posted some pictures I bet someone could be of great help to you.

Comment

A bar with a sign with 30' letters? That's a big bar.

Makes me think there are more than one transformer per letter, and maybe the common issue is something else. That would be a large/long tube to do an entire letter by itself.

Comment

What are you going to do when you find the tube(s) broken?

Look for simple things you can find and reach then turn it over to a sign company.
            Tom
            TBLO

Comment

Probably the sign company gave the owner some budgetary numbers and the owner is now shopping after mentally dealing with sticker shock.

Comment

Originally posted by oldsparky52 View Post
                Probably the sign company gave the owner some budgetary numbers and the owner is now shopping after mentally dealing with sticker shock.
                Most likely. I worked on a sign or two before I said ‘No, thank you.”
                Tom
                TBLO

Comment

Originally posted by ptonsparky View Post

I did a few months with a sign company as a helper before I found an EC to hire me and I was exposed to some real cowboys. I was a quick study and thought I learned a lot. Well years later I'm trying a one man show gig, and a service call came up on a neon sign mounted on top of a roof. I don't remember whether I fixed it or not, I do remember that 15,000 volt secondary hurts.

I understand neon work came a long way from the '70s.

Comment

I don't remember whether I fixed it or not, I do remember that 15,000 volt secondary hurts.

I understand neon work came a long way from the '70s.
                    Went on a call to fix an interior neon years ago (a salon I think). I lifted the ceiling tile directly above it looking for the transformer; it was sitting on top of the wall and as soon as I lifted the tile my fingers hit the output terminals. GF tripped almost immediately but that split second did sting a bit.

[COLOR="Blue"]Brought to you by Carl's Jr.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by RobA View Post

6 letter old looking neon sign. The letters are ~30’ tall.

The H is off 100% of the time.

The G is off 95% off then 100% on, intermittently.

Can anyone point me to a good thread on old neon signs?

Much appreciated,

Rob
                      robertnathanalm@gmail.com
                      well, you are gonna need a glass shop if it's not the
                      transformers. are they channel letters with neon inside,
                      or bare tubes? if you have leaky tubes, you are gonna
                      have to put new ends on them, pull vacuum, and backfill.

send me a PM, i have two or three sign shops i can point you at.

you will need to bring money. anyone who can still do neon glass
                      is a unicorn.
                      ~New signature under construction.~
                      ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by ptonsparky View Post

My former partner started out as a sign contractor, then said he changed to electrical contracting because it was easier...
                        __________________________________________________ ____________________________
                        Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

I'm in California, ergo I am still stuck on the 2014 NEC... We'll get around to the 2017 code in around 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by brantmacga View Post

Went on a call to fix an interior neon years ago (a salon I think). I lifted the ceiling tile directly above it looking for the transformer; it was sitting on top of the wall and as soon as I lifted the tile my fingers hit the output terminals. GF tripped almost immediately but that split second did sting a bit.

When I was in 8th grade I found a discarded 15,000V 30 mA neon sign transformer and made a Jacob's ladder with it. I even brought it to school to demonstrate it. I imagine nowadays they would freak out about it but no one seemed to mind back then. I remember showing how you could blow the arc around with your breath and catch paper on fire with it. Somehow, I did have the presence of mind to grab a piece of carbon paper away from one kid before he stuck it in the arc.

Comment

Originally posted by synchro View Post

When I was in 8th grade I found a discarded 15,000V 30 mA neon sign transformer and made a Jacob's ladder with it. I even brought it to school to demonstrate it. I imagine nowadays they would freak out about it but no one seemed to mind back then. I remember showing how you could blow the arc around with your breath and catch paper on fire with it. Somehow, I did have the presence of mind to grab a piece of carbon paper away from one kid before he stuck it in the arc.
                            IDK, but that sounds pretty sharp for an 8th grader. I bet the class was amazed.

Comment

IDK, but that sounds pretty sharp for an 8th grader.
                              I guess so. Thinking back, my surviving childhood probably wasn't all just "dumb" luck, so to speak. I just wonder what happened that I'm not as sharp nowadays

I bet the class was amazed.
                              Yeah the kids really liked it. I don't think the teacher really knew what it was that I had there, and she just smiled
                              Last edited by synchro; 09-12-19, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X