Sign repair for a bar in California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by synchro View Post
    I guess so. Thinking back, my surviving childhood probably wasn't all just "dumb" luck, so to speak. I just wonder what happened that I'm not as sharp nowadays
    Too many ZAPS! from 15,000 volt secondaries??

Comment

Do you know of a good thread that discusses or lists possible causes of why this signs' "H" is not lighting up?

- Rob Alm

robertnathanalm@gmail.com
      Attached Files

Comment

See http://www.neonworksusa.com/ in Cincinnati. They're associated with the American Sign Museum https://www.americansignmuseum.org/ (also in Cincinnati). NeonWorks does neon lamp building and repairs.

From an amateur's perspective, I'd check
        (1) power - is it getting its share of the 15,000 volts
        (2) wires into the tubes
        (3) Tubes- any obvious breaks
        (4) Wires joining tube sections together (the top and bottom of the H are separate tubes) The sections of the letters are sometimes wired in series-- if one goes out, they all go out!

Someone suggested a neon checker. I searched for >neon tube checker< and got several hits-- and the prices were below $20.

Comment

Is the bottom left of that H cracked? It looks like it might be.

Comment

Originally posted by RobA View Post
            Do you know of a good thread that discusses or lists possible causes of why this signs' "H" is not lighting up?

- Rob Alm

robertnathanalm@gmail.com
            The way neon works is it puts a high voltage on the gas in the glass, and the gas glows. So, if there is no gas in the glass, it won't light. If there is no power to the glass, it won't light. That's about it. Either the transformer is bad, or the power is not going to the transformer, or the secondary power is not getting to the neon, or there is no gas in the glass.

What else would you like to know?

Comment

I have a bookmark from many years ago for a neon repair place that gave you all the information you would need to troubleshoot neon. Unfortunately it goes nowhere now.

-Hal

Comment

Working...
              X