LED equivalent for 50 watt HPS (mogul base) recessed can lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

I have a school that has ~60 soffit lights that are recessed cans (about 10 inch diameter).
They want to convert from HPS to LED.
The existing lamps are 50 watts, mogul base, and are horizontal mount within the fixture.

im thinking about using a corn cob style light.
not sure if I'll get a mogul base or a medium base with a mogul->medium adapter.

Any ideas what I should look for that is equivalent lumens to the 50 watt HPS that currently exist?
They are mounted about 10' off the ground in the soffit around the perimeter of the school.

any opinions about getting mogul base LED's versus medium base with adapter?
Also, any suggestions about something besides a corn cob style?

Thanks

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
You are more likely to find specialty bases for high output LEDs than the archaic mogul base. I would have no reservations about using an adapter.
A cursory Google search shows 30 watt halide and 100 watt halide equivalent corn row bulbs and even higher output PAR shape bulbs, all with medium bases.

https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/led-corn-lamp-adjustable-beam-angle/ looks particularly interesting, but higher power than you want.

Last edited:

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I have a school that has ~60 soffit lights that are recessed cans (about 10 inch diameter).
They want to convert from HPS to LED.
The existing lamps are 50 watts, mogul base, and are horizontal mount within the fixture.

im thinking about using a corn cob style light.
not sure if I'll get a mogul base or a medium base with a mogul->medium adapter.

Any ideas what I should look for that is equivalent lumens to the 50 watt HPS that currently exist?
They are mounted about 10' off the ground in the soffit around the perimeter of the school.

any opinions about getting mogul base LED's versus medium base with adapter?
Also, any suggestions about something besides a corn cob style?

Thanks

Lumens and Kelvin color is what you need to compare. Right off the cuff, I’d say a 22 watt or 36 watt. One will be a whiter light, but less. The other can be a whiter light, and more of it. How bright you want it?

My suggestion. You have 60 of them. Buy 1 or 2, see how well it’s received before you invest in 60.

Status
Not open for further replies.