Lighting interference from wash machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lighting interference from wash machine

I have a customer whose florescent lights in his basement and over the sink in the kitchen plus the round "globe" lights in his bathroom, are blinking in conjunction with the "wash cycle" of his wash machine in the basement. It is a steady blink, the same as the agitator goes back and forth. I checked neutrals in the panel, but all was good. Other lights are not affected and it only happens when the wash machine is going. Any thoughts? Thanks

Most modern washers are VFD controlled. This is just one more example of various Technology put out there that when combined with other, unstable Solid State " Tech " does not work worth a damn.
    I would guess Jraef can tell us the underlying cause of this matter possibly. I have some LED tube replacements in FL fixtures above the work bench. When I turn on my heat gun, they start this weird and useless flickering. has anyone noticed how bad all this technology is performing, and also the time it wastes?/?

Star
    Microwave Radiation Dangers should be openly discussed

Comment

You've got a bad connection somewhere or exceptionally bad power supplying the house.
      If Billy Idol is on your playlist go reevaluate your life.

Comment

Maybe the washer and lights are on the same MWBC and sharing a neutral? If so that would provide a common wire resistance allowing washer to conduct noise and interference over to the lights.

Comment

Blaming technology without knowing the age of the washer can lead us down a slippery path.

I am with Dave until we know more. Could be simple VD on an old service.

Was it always that that way or a new development?
          Tom
          TBLO

Comment

I had the same issue in my last home with incandescent lights. It was circa 1929 with a 60 amp service and fuses. I'm sure that the washing machine was on the same circuit as the lights. I upgraded my service, and for grins and giggles, put the washing machine on a dedicated circuit. No more flicker.

Comment

Working...
            X