IC recessed lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IC recessed lights

I have a job where the batt insulation has already been installed between the ceiling joists. The GC said to just cut a hole in the insulation to accommodate the IC rated cans. It would seem this would leave the light fixture uninsulated and the vapor barrier will be compromised.

Is this best practice?

If the fixture was installed first and the insulator cut the insulation around the fixture the vapor barrier would be cut anyway so I don't see that as an issue. I would guess that the energy code would have something to say about the top of the fixture having to be covered with insulation.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

I've seen articles in Fine Homebuilding &c about building a box out of insulating foam to perch over the cans on the attic side. But only if the cans are 'insulation-touching' rated.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulMmn View Post
        I've seen articles in Fine Homebuilding &c about building a box out of insulating foam to perch over the cans on the attic side. But only if the cans are 'insulation-touching' rated.
        I've never seen an Insulation Touch IT rated cans. I've seen lots of Insulation Contact rated cans, which the OP said he had.
        If Billy Idol is on your playlist go reevaluate your life.

Comment

Working...
        X