210.4(B)3 Ph, 4 W, 120/208V panelboard - shared neutral branch circuits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

210.4(B)3 Ph, 4 W, 120/208V panelboard - shared neutral branch circuits

My understanding is you cannot use 3-single phase, 20A branch CBs with a 'shared' neutral unless all three CB's are ganged together at the panelboard – per NEC 210.4(B)....Is this a true statement?

Well it wouldn't be possible to install a 3 pole CB unless the three phases are next to one another but I gather that you're referencing single pole CB's. Yes you are correct, the single poles with a handle-tie will end up just like a 3 pole CB.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

Originally posted by infinity View Post
      Well it wouldn't be possible to install a 3 pole CB unless the three phases are next to one another but I gather that you're referencing single pole CB's. Yes you are correct, the single poles with a handle-tie will end up just like a 3 pole CB.
      Thanks Infinity. Looks like this particular company ignored 210.4(B).

Comment

When was the install? That disgusting code change has only been around since 2008. During the one hundred years prior to that you could spread your MWBC out.
        If Billy Idol is on your playlist go reevaluate your life.

Comment

Originally posted by ActionDave View Post
          When was the install? That disgusting code change has only been around since 2008. During the one hundred years prior to that you could spread your MWBC out.
          Spread out and used a lot. I feel sorry for the young guys that work on a restaurant remodel we did years ago. All MWBC, no handle ties, and some were spread out not even close to one another in the panel.
          Tom
          TBLO

Comment

Originally posted by ActionDave View Post
            Originally posted by ptonsparky View Post

Spread out and used a lot. I feel sorry for the young guys that work on a restaurant remodel we did years ago. All MWBC, no handle ties, and some were spread out not even close to one another in the panel.

I agree with both of you guys.

Roger

Comment

Originally posted by ptonsparky View Post

Before the handle tie rule applied to everything, I generally still kept them grouped together, but when adding things to an existing panel sometimes things got spread around, especially if there was a high leg in the panel and you had to avoid that as well.
              I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Originally posted by kwired View Post

Before the handle tie rule applied to everything, I generally still kept them grouped together, but when adding things to an existing panel sometimes things got spread around, especially if there was a high leg in the panel and you had to avoid that as well.
                We grouped the MWBC with tape at each access point but those that have had no experience with them will be lost.
                Tom
                TBLO

Comment

I always put a piece of tape around each boat but I never worried about grouping at the breaker because I might be pulling spares or I might want to group circuits in a certain order other than A,B,C.
                  If Billy Idol is on your playlist go reevaluate your life.

Comment

Originally posted by Isaiah View Post
                    My understanding is you cannot use 3-single phase, 20A branch CBs with a 'shared' neutral unless all three CB's are ganged together at the panelboard – per NEC 210.4(B)....Is this a true statement?
                    I guess nothing says they must be ganged together, but since handle ties are required it probably is easiest to find ties for breakers that are adjacent to one another
                    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Working...
                    X