Lutron dimmer, flourescent cans and short lamp life...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxslick

Hey, do I get a special prize for being the first one to start an ACTUAL LIGHTING THREAD in the new and improved forum?:grin:

My screening room install has the following issue:

Lutron Grafik Eye system, flourescent cans, and:

The bulbs have been blowing out like popcorn. The EC has relamped all the cans THREE times so far. One fixture has been replaced, and it's replacement continues to eat lamps. (Actually ALL the cans have been eating lamps.)

Grid ceiling, heat is not an issue, lamps are high quality name brand, cans are not cheap either. (I have forgotten the brands involved but will get them and post later.)

What brands of lamps/cans have you guys had good luck wu=ith, and which brands should they stay away from?

PCN

I use Gotham cans w/ Sylvania lamps. But it sounds like something else is going on here.

Maybe the dimmer is the culprit.

kbsparky

Are these fluorescent cans utilizing dimmable ballasts? Is the Grafik system rated for fluorescent use? Sounds like at least one of your components is not compatible ... :confused:

mxslick

Sorry I haven't responded, been very busy at work and also spent this past weekend in the hospital again.. :(

KB, yes they are dimmable ballasts and the Grafik Eye has the proper dimmer modules installed. That was the frirst thing I asked the EC.

They haven't been back yet for me to get the brand info though....

Yesterday two cans were out, one was the ongoing problem child and the other was a random one..

nakulak

the only high end lutron dimming panel I installed and programmed recently, you had to manually set the lighting type for each zone (dimmer board). it specifically stated that you would burn out ballasts, boards, or bulbs if you used the wrong setting.

I had a similar situation, Lutron dimming system, lutron dimming ballasts and GE lamps. The system was checked and powered up by Lutron. Within a few days of the system being energized we started having lamps fail.

I talked to GE, Lutron, and Cooper Lighting, everyone of them said it wasn't their problem.

I sent lamps to GE testing lab to see what they said caused the lamps to fail. They said the lamps failed due to improper cathode heating(later learned that this is a standard answer no matter what the problem). They said the most like causes were improper burn in, bad socket wiring, or bad ballasts.

After eliminating all possibilities, I switched to Sylvania lamps, and a different batch of GE Lamps. Long story short, the Hungarian made GE lamps were bad. The Sylvania lamps worked without a problem, and new GE Lamps worked. Since there were over 200 fixtures, the problem took a while to resolve.

Status
Not open for further replies.