Fan on a dimmer making loud chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been putting fans on dimmers for a long time, but today, when the fan was put on a dimmer, the motor of the fan was very noticably loud. On a regular switch, the motor was quiet again. I figured the dimming switch might had gone bad, as it was already in use prior. So I tried it on another, though still in use, and same problem. I bought a new lutron dimming switch, and still the same problem. It's just a fan/light combo with the light on a seperate switch and the fan on a dimmer switch. Anyone ever heard of this? or know a possible cause?

Occupation
Inspector
I've been putting fans on dimmers for a long time, but today, when the fan was put on a dimmer, the motor of the fan was very noticably loud. On a regular switch, the motor was quiet again. I figured the dimming switch might had gone bad, as it was already in use prior. So I tried it on another, though still in use, and same problem. I bought a new lutron dimming switch, and still the same problem. It's just a fan/light combo with the light on a seperate switch and the fan on a dimmer switch. Anyone ever heard of this? or know a possible cause?

Are you using a dimmer or a fan speed control?

ultramegabob

I know it's not right, but I've never had problems with it before.

I cannot believe that you would actually say that, I can understand someone not doing something correctly because they dont realize it is wrong, but to knowingly do somthing wrong when you know it blows my mind, It makes me wonder what else you do..... what is the reason for putting a fan on a dimmer, to save a couple bucks???

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's just a fan/light combo with the light on a seperate switch and the fan on a dimmer switch.
You'd be better off swapping them and using the fan's chain. I'm surprised you haven't had this happen before.

Besides being designed for motors, the fan controller starts at full speed, and reduces as you advance the control.

That way, the motor starts at full power for quicker (and thus cooler) starting, which can help extend motor life.

I started using dimmers before I was ever an electrician...those dimmers though I believe actually gave less voltage, while I believe the dimmers now-a-days turn on and off power. Is this correct? But I've always used dimmers and never had a problem, so I'm wondering why this time I'mhaving an issue. I'm going to start just using fan controllers to avoid this problem, but I liked having more options for speed.

AV ELECTRIC

I remember many many years ago i used a full range fan control it made the fan hum. then they came out with the quiet control it hummed to. Incremental fan speed control is the only way to go.

mcclary's electrical

I started using dimmers before I was ever an electrician...those dimmers though I believe actually gave less voltage, while I believe the dimmers now-a-days turn on and off power. Is this correct? But I've always used dimmers and never had a problem, so I'm wondering why this time I'mhaving an issue. I'm going to start just using fan controllers to avoid this problem, but I liked having more options for speed.

Why this time???????because you got lucky before. You went to the store,,,,,,,looked right over the CORRECT iem,,,,and bought A BRAND NEW WRONG PART?????? Then come on here and wonder why,,,,,,,I'm astounded by this thread.

I put diesel in my lawn mower,,, it won't run. I went to the store,,,got BRAND NEW diesel,,,,it still won't run. I know this is not right,,,but can anybody tell me why it won't run?

Status
Not open for further replies.