ballpark lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

megloff11x

Has anyone ever done stadium lighting for night games, football or baseball field, as well as the parking lots?

I've been looking for a lumens or VA per square meter/foot formula, also factoring in light height for such outdoor lighting but coming up empty. Inside I can find. Outdoor is hiding...

We contacted a few stadiums and they don't know their own lighting, or too much work to dig up. The kids are doing this as a student project.

Let me know.

Matt

480sparky

They are not cheap, but I guess the kind of depends on your budget.:grin:

True, but you're getting the whole ball of wax, not just a truckload of fixtures.

I worked with them years ago on a high school football field. Every 3 or 4 days, a report would come in telling us we needed to adjust a certain light a certain direction so many degrees. Seems a tech would turn on all the lights at night and walk up and down the field with a light meter looking for irregularities...bright and dim spots.

Then a computer program would 'solve' the problems and generate a report for us. One of us would don a harness & lanyard and climb up the poles and make the requested adjustments.

You don't get that kind of service from Home Cheapo.

Mr. Bill

I've had a mixed experience with Musco. Ever since they came out with their dimming system I've knocked heads with them. They design to their specifications. They view bid documents as a guideline. When I really wanted to dig into and understand this dimming system they tell me that everything is proprietary information. I ask for laboratory test results of their lights and they say the system was review by a PE on a test field. I call the PE and he tells me he's a mechanical engineer that used to work for Musco and used Musco supplied data. I started to suspect they underbid the other systems because they provided 20% less light. (They use a LLF of .99 and light to an average rather than a minimum.) They did try to work with me. They agreed to increase light 10% and to do annual measurements for 10 years. Last years measurement (3rd report) was just at the minimum light level. I'll be curious to see this year's. I may have to remind them again a report is due. I worry they'll just dial up the light output which will shorten the guaranteed life span.

Mike01

preference

preference

I have also had mixed experiences with Musco yes they do provide you an all inclusive package but as stated when they get the job they pretty much throw out the specs, and drawings and install there system, I tend to lean towards a traditional system with a quality contractor at least then I know what I am getting (more a comfort level) and then I can provide multiple manufacturers and get a competitive bid. I have had success and horror stories with Musco. If you do your dudiligence, homework and design the system correctly and get a quality contractor typically it will all run smoothly, at least from my experience I have not had a problem with a generically designed system.

Status
Not open for further replies.