outdoor em light fixture location

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky90

Is it mandatory to mount an outdoor emergency lighting fixture directly over the main entrance door. I have a commercial install with a 36"by 84" single glass door with a 42" glass transom directly over door. No soffit,just wall straight up. i mounted a combination outoor/em fixture just to the handle side above door. Light is a fluorecent 4pin x2 lamps(dont know foot candles,but throws a lot of light. Need true facts and code sections ,any help would be appreciated.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
This aspect of illumination is not covered by the NEC. It is covered under another NFPA code publication... perhaps 72 and/or 101.

As I recall, the placement isn't called for in exact terms, but rather by the light intensity measured along the path(s) of egress.

sparky90

In NFPA 101,they dont specify fixture location, but rather foot candle illumination at the point of egress. My problem arose when I mounted the fixture not over the center of door because of field conditions,and the property owner said it was not compliant. Im looking for a definitve point stating the fixture has to be mounted over center of door.

Depending where you are working, the requirement may fall under the building department of the jurisdiction. For instance, in NYS, the Building Code of NYS covers this requirement.
The placement of the fixture is not a requirement, the number of foot candles (lux) on the path of egress is the requirement. In NY, that number is 1ft-candle .

From the Building Code of NYS, which is modeled from the ICC Building Codes

1006.1 Illumination Required.
the means of egress, including the exit discharge, shall be illuminated at all times the building space served by the means of egress is occupied.

1006.4 Performance of system.
Emergency lighting facilities shall be arranged to provide initial illumination that is at least an average of 1 foot-candle (11 lux) and a minimum at any point of 0.1 foot-candle (1 lux) measured along the path of egress at floor level. Illumination levels shall be permitted to delcine to 0.6 foot-candles (6 lux)aaverage and a minimum at any point of 0.06 foot-candle (0.06 lux) at the end of the emergency lighting time duration. A maximum-to-minimum illumination uniformity ratio of 40 to 1 shall not be exceeded.

From NFPA 101

7.9.2 Performance of System
7.9.2.1 Emergency illumination shall be provided for not less than 1 1/2 hours in the event of failure of normal lighting. Emergency lighting facilities shall be arranged to provide initial illumination that is not less than an average of 10.8 lux (1 ft-candle) and, at any point, not less than 1.1 lux (0.1 ft-candle), measured along the path of egress at floor level.

There is no location of the emergency lighting source discussed or required in either document. The amount of light is what is required.

I will also say that both documents go into detail what the different parts of the path of egress include. They are both very detailed in that aspect.

Do not forget to check the local laws, they may be more restrictive.

Status
Not open for further replies.