ceiling fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
after noon all, here is the situation old home maybe 50 's 60 's two wire circuits hot neutral switch leg neutral no grounds. installed a new ceiling fan and the light kit works and the fan works how ever my glow stick shows voltage on the fan housing when the fan is on i also put my meter to it between the light socket and the housing and it shows 30 volts plus minus. i also checked the switch leg to neutral with switch off and i read 8 volts. do you think grounding the fixture would help ? possible induced voltage from motor ? very tired and wore out been busy so any help would be great thanks jeremy.

more info

more info

meter-fluke t5-600 also i should ad originally i took down a fan because the HO. kept getting shocked when pulling the pull chain(metal) i figured pinched wire no ground fixture energized i was correct after fixing the wire the fixture case was fine until i pulled the chain and again energized i assumed the fan motor was shorted so they bought a new fan and still same issues.

jumper

meter-fluke t5-600 also i should ad originally i took down a fan because the HO. kept getting shocked when pulling the pull chain(metal) i figured pinched wire no ground fixture energized i was correct after fixing the wire the fixture case was fine until i pulled the chain and again energized i assumed the fan motor was shorted so they bought a new fan and still same issues.

To clarify:

You found a pinched wire, fixed it, and homeowner is still getting shocked?

I think that model may still be a high impendance type and will show ghost voltage. Got a selonoid tester?

This is not one of those switched neutral jobs is it?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Got a selonoid tester?
That's step one. Then, make sure the grounding is all correct in the panel. Neutral, electrodes, all bonding. You didn't mention whether its BX or NM, but if it's BX, the panel is energized, as are the metal outlet boxes.

Next, get a 3-wire extension cord plugged into a known-properly-wired receptacle (from a neighbor's house would be even better) and, with the fan removed, use the slots in the cord to test against the wires, and the box.

Use the cord's hot slot to check the neutral wire and the box, and the neutral slot to check the hot wire. You should get either 0v or 240v between the cord and ceiling hots. Check for everything to be what they should.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.