fixture wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

johneymac

when connecting fluorescent fixtures is it a code violation to cut off the push in connector that some companies are supplying with their fixtures and use wirenuts instead .

Buck Parrish

Yes it's a violation - 110.3 (b)

I think the push connectors you have described are great.
I have not had one fail. And thier fast, too.

kwired

Electron manager
Yes it's a violation - 110.3 (b)

I think the push connectors you have described are great.
I have not had one fail. And thier fast, too.

before it can violate 110.3(B) the question that has to be answered is if it is part of the listing or instructions or is there for convenience of complying with 410.130(G).

Not all locations are required to have the disconnecting device at the luminaire if the one of the exceptions are met.

If not part of the listing and meets exceptions cut them if you wish.

Volta

Do you mean simple push-connectors, or are you talking about the disconnecting means integral to the luminaire, also typically incorporating push-connectors as required / allowed by 410.130(G)?

kwired

Electron manager
My question is why would you want to do this? It's just more time & material, and that converts to dollars.

I have done this on luminaires that have the connector that requires pushing in your branch circuit conductor (where the disconnect is not required of course) and I have multiple branch circuit conductors to terminate, or where using continuous row luminaires in same situation and desire to use scotchlock connector to tap the luminaire to the branch circuit conductor and found it to be less time.

johneymac

thank all,to clarify a little,im wiring rows of fixtures where i need to feed in and out the push in connector has only two ports which renders it useless its just quicker to snip it off and use wirenuts.thank you again johneymac.

Status
Not open for further replies.