emergency lighting disconnecting means

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandpa

Do fluorescent fixtures powered by emergency ballasts require and local disconnecting means for fixture ballast repalcement. We have taken over a store utilizing these and there is no way to replace fixture ballasts without working them hot, which is very difficult.

mcclary's electrical

Do fluorescent fixtures powered by emergency ballasts require and local disconnecting means for fixture ballast repalcement. We have taken over a store utilizing these and there is no way to replace fixture ballasts without working them hot, which is very difficult.

Welcome to the forum, if they were installed under 05' or 08' yes, they would be required to have the disco

JLEECME

410.130 (G) exception 2: A disconnecting means shall NOT be required for emergency illumination required in 700.16.

raider1

Staff member
Actually 410.130(G)(1) Exception #2 (2008)would permit you to not have a luminaire disconnecting means for emergency lighting in accordance with 700.16.

Chris

mcclary's electrical

Actually 410.130(G)(1) Exception #2 (2008)would permit you to not have a luminaire disconnecting means for emergency lighting in accordance with 700.16.

Chris

I wonder why this is Chris? I usually put one in the e-light also,to avoid what the op is speaking of? What is the reasoning?

mcclary's electrical

My guess would be that the addition of a disconnecting means in an emergency lighting system could add an additional failure point in that system.

Chris

Well I feel that way about every single one of those Orange disconnects, internally , they seem to be constructed no different than the common backstab, and I'm curious how well they'll hold up twenty years from now.

grandpa

grandpa

grandpa

Thanks guys. It is interesting the code allows this. With back up power constant, you cannot change a ballast with no power present. Very difficult and dangerous on recessed cans with small j-boxes to work in.

grandpa

grandpa

grandpa

Well, turning off the breaker doesn't work as the emergency ballasts automatically take over. That's the issue. Without a disconnecting means, it's always hot.

Bernard1599

Well, turning off the breaker doesn't work as the emergency ballasts automatically take over. That's the issue. Without a disconnecting means, it's always hot.

The emergency fluorescent ballast that I am familiar with is the Bodine. The ballast's charging indicator light is mounted on a separate box with all of the wires from emergency ballast in this box. There is an inverter connection that is similar to a wago that is between the red and white emg. ballast's wiring that disconnects the emg ballast from the fixture.

Hope this helps.

jumper

Most of the ones I have worked with are like the ones Bernard talked about. There is usually two leads off the ballast or battery that you can disconnect and kill the output.

Here is a link to the Bodine brand that he talked about. The leads are marked inverter.

http://www.bodine.com/downloads/install/B50.inst.(elc).75000037.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.