This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luminaires with high in-rush

I'm working on an installation of luminaires that have electronic power supplies that create a large inrush current at turn-on. A typical string of lights on a 20A branch circuit (277V) would create an inrush of 300A for 8.3ms (1/2 cycle).

Is a high-inrush type of CB the best solution (assuming I can't change the luminaire power supply, split the circuit, etc.)?

What CB brands and types are easiest to find?

I have been looking at a Heinemann AMR type (one of their curves goes to 30X rating for inrush), BUT it seems everyone only stocks them in UL1077 types rather than UL489. I need UL489.

I'm seeing more and more solid state lighting and some have low inrush and some have high inrush - it seems that this must be getting to be a more common problem as lighting migrates to electronic drivers.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Welcome to the forum!

I wonder whether an HACR breaker would suffice, or even a standard SWD rated one?
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Comment

look at the 'high magnetic' version of square D QO, for example QO120HM for 20 amp single pole.

Comment

oops, i reread and saw the application is 277v. I know the square D EDB breakers for the NF panelboards are rated for HID lighting (high inrush) http://static.schneider-electric.us/...O9602R1197.pdf

Even if you got the Eaton AMR breakers you want, what are you going to put them in?

Comment

Working...
        X