Low Voltage Light in swimming pool...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Actinlikeicare1

The other day i received a phone call because someone had a light in their swimming pool that had stopped working. Its Low voltage, a 300 watt 12 volt bulb. For whatever reason someone had removed the wire to the fixture from the LV transformer ( the owner wasn't real clear on why, apparently someone else looked at it and never hooked it back up) i removed the fixture, observed it, simply hooked up the wires and screwed the bulb back in the fixture and it came on. Put it in the pool tested it again and it was still working. I left.

The next morning the guy calls and says his light didn't come on at night with the timer. I went over there removed the fixture and checked for voltage at the socket. It had 12 volts. Checked the bulb, it had resistance between the tip and the side and looked brand new. I went and bought another bulb and tried that, still wont come on. How can i have 12 volts at the socket, the socket looks clean, no corrosion, and a new bulb and it doesn't light???

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You can have voltage at a socket but when there is a load added the voltage drops to 0V. This is due to a broken wire or loose connection somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.