Timer w/out neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
If you need a timer switch for a switchbox with no neutral, the Intermatic E351C will do the job. Has only 2 leads, needs no neutral. Only 1 I recall seeing. Customer had an old one that gave out. No supply house had it, but I found it on their website.

kbsparky

I have had nothing but problems using timers, occupancy sensors, etc that depend on the load for their operation.

Get one with a neutral, and it will be able to handle anything from an LED bulb to a heater unit!

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Some of these types of devices don't use the current through the load as their power source. Some use the EGC as the grounded conductor. This is currently permitted by UL in the listing standard and is one of the driving reasons behind the proposed 2011 code rule to require a grounded conductor at each switch location.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I guess if they are digital timers they should use a neutral and I bet soon they will all need it.

BTW the part number you gave comes up empty I believe it is an EJ351C . The link is from Amazon.

412qPu74QwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I guess if they are digital timers they should use a neutral and I bet soon they will all need it.

BTW the part number you gave comes up empty I believe it is an EJ351C . The link is from Amazon.

412qPu74QwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
You are right, sorry for the typo. That is the exact product. This is 1st of these I've run across. I think customer had old one about 10 years. ONLY thing I could use here, as no neutral or ground in box. I'm planting seeds with customer to do a whole house rewire down the road. A big commitment, but lots of their wiring is old and wouldn't be overdoing it to rewire. They will for sure rewire any rooms or sections they remodel in any way.

hurk27

I have used those but I hate timers that have to be reset every time the power goes out so I switched to the intermatic 42 event electronic timers, they have a 5 year battery backup, and also a rechargeable battery in them that charges through the load when the load is off so no ground or neutral, but my all time favorite was the intermatic astro- 42 event, also had the same battery set up as the other, I started using them for about everything from parking lights to automating office lighting, the astro feature will automatically adjust the timer for the change in the sun from summer to winter you have to set the latitude, they never had to be changed, these were the same style as the other one above, and mounted in a outlet opening, depending upon the application if I was controlling a large load I would just add a contactor to them, no more photo cells to fail and no more having to reset the timer when power failed, but I think intermatic caught on and stopped making them, and since we could get them for around $45.00 they were much cheaper then even a T101-104, and way much cheaper then the bigger astro timer that is about the size of a T-101 one of these with a $25.00 clapper relay was still cheaper then any other timer with a photocell.
But like I said they are no longer availble even on ther web site:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.