Mounting Lights on Cable Tray?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJZ123

Can a wet location T8 light fixture be mounted to a vertical cable tray. The cable tray is mounted in side a wind turbine tower. This means the set up can be almost any where in the U.S. As I read the code, I do not think that it is allowed because of 392.6(J) but I will like to know for sure.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Can a wet location T8 light fixture be mounted to a vertical cable tray. The cable tray is mounted in side a wind turbine tower. This means the set up can be almost any where in the U.S. As I read the code, I do not think that it is allowed because of 392.6(J) but I will like to know for sure.

The cable tray has to be supported by something. Hook a piece of strut to whatever is supporting the cable tray and put the light on that.

Ragin Cajun

In the plant where I worked, we hung lights off the tray everywhere. Best place to put them. I don't know of any code reason why not. It's all electrical stuff!

BTW, if the light is "inside" the tower, why is that a "Wet" location?

RC

EJZ123

They are wet location rated because the tower sections are pre-assembled in a factory. So, before the the tower is assembled the sections can sit outside for a few months to year. Both sides of the section are covered by a tarp but they can leak. After the tower is assembled they clean out the tower with water.

In addition, articles 410.30 and 410.36 states what can support luminaires.

Did they use custom brackets or standard hardware to mount the lights?

EJZ

dicklaxt

I have done it a few times over the years but that was dictated by the conditions,,,,,,,,most of the times the clients will emphatically say no or at least try to discourage that practice and most companies I have worked for did as well.

dick

I don't have the Codebook handy, so I am shooting from the hip.

The tray, in general, is for exclusive support of tray cables and necessary attachments required for the distribution of that. Few exceptions exist and lighting fixtures may be one of them. You can take the rule; if the Code does not specifically prohibits it, it is allowed. One rule is clear that whatever attachment is installed onto the cable tray it should not present an obstruction or a sharp point on the inside of the tray.

The support provided for the cable tray can be utilized to also support a lighting fixture.

EJZ123

That is what I was thinking. However we have ran into to some AHJs that say the tower falls under the NEC and some that say it does not. What code book does a power generation facility fall under?

Status
Not open for further replies.