Recessed Light Spacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetlag

This is most bull i'v ever seen for some one wanting a rough in for can lights . I posted one of those you told him to look at and never got a straight answer. Come on guys were are talking common situation, 8 ft ceiling , 6 '' cans , contractors normal reg trim. I will answer his post with 24 '' from walls and approx 6 ft max spacing . it doesnt do any good to say you have to divide by the room size the answer is 6 ft or less spacing, we have no way of knowing if a customer will install spot or flood bulbs. It usually never works out exactly 6 ft so the space will be less and that is better. i have put them on 7 ft with no complaints.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have to disagree with you jetlag. 24" works fine for kitchens or areas where you want to highlight pictures, etc but in a family room things could be different. First off you need to know what the customer wants to accomplish.

Generally, lamps will handle perimeter lighting so I tend to move the lights out to 36" - 42" off the walls. Spacing apart- I would say about 5' but it depends again on what is being accomplished.

Also if there is a fan in the middle of the room one must mae sure not to get too close as you will get a strobe effect. There is aot to think about in laying out cans.

In a dining room we may have a chandelier in the middle and 4 cans in the corner of the rooms. There is no simple answer as each room may be unique.

iwire

Staff member
If you are shooting for even lighting levels (not task lighting) the distance between the walls and the fixtures needs to be half the distance between fixtures.

In other words if your fixtures are 4' center to center the distance from fixtures to walls should be about 2'.

The distance between fixtures will be dependent on the amount of fixtures the job can afford or the photometrics of the fixture, often it is a combination of both of those items.

electricmanscott

This is most bull i'v ever seen for some one wanting a rough in for can lights . I posted one of those you told him to look at and never got a straight answer. Come on guys were are talking common situation, 8 ft ceiling , 6 '' cans , contractors normal reg trim. I will answer his post with 24 '' from walls and approx 6 ft max spacing . it doesnt do any good to say you have to divide by the room size the answer is 6 ft or less spacing, we have no way of knowing if a customer will install spot or flood bulbs. It usually never works out exactly 6 ft so the space will be less and that is better. i have put them on 7 ft with no complaints.

Pretty bold statements considering you own lack of knowledge regarding can installation.

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=128861

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=128912

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=128936

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=128962

jetlag

I have to disagree with you jetlag. 24" works fine for kitchens or areas where you want to highlight pictures, etc but in a family room things could be different. First off you need to know what the customer wants to accomplish.

Generally, lamps will handle perimeter lighting so I tend to move the lights out to 36" - 42" off the walls. Spacing apart- I would say about 5' but it depends again on what is being accomplished.

Also if there is a fan in the middle of the room one must mae sure not to get too close as you will get a strobe effect. There is aot to think about in laying out cans.

In a dining room we may have a chandelier in the middle and 4 cans in the corner of the rooms. There is no simple answer as each room may be unique.

Well I take back the 24'' in rooms other than kitchen, I usually come out more. But for the question he is asking he may not have a customer trying to accomplish something, if he did he would ask. It may be his own house or he could be wiring a spec house for a contractor and most of the time the contractor depends on the electrician to space the cans best in his quote. when you told him 5 ft space that was more of and answer than I ever got from my posts and like I say I think the nearest thing under 6 ft is good. But i hate to see a 12x12 bedroom with just one can in each corner (3 from corner each end and 6 between) so I go with 2 from each corner and put one in center of the 8 ft space

jetlag

I have probably installed more cans than you in 40 yrs but wanted to get some expert opinions but it didnt happen, I'm back to what I already knew , not a single reply I could use.

electricmanscott

I have probably installed more cans than you in 40 yrs but wanted to get some expert opinions but it didnt happen, I'm back to what I already knew , not a single reply I could use.

Well youre welcome I guess. :roll:

All the advice you were given was useful and accurate. The fact that you don't agree with it doesn't change that.

wireguy8169

I always ask my lighting sales people, I trust them and they ask questions. I am not a lighting designer and usually they will even give me good tips even if I am buying my cans from a big box store as per the customer. So, I am not answering your question but that is where I would go....

M4gery

A lot of people tried to help you out in your many threads, you just spit in their faces.

jetlag

A lot of people tried to help you out in your many threads, you just spit in their faces.

Well i got some smart ellic answers too like when i said it was easier to cut the holes for remodel cans than it is to try to get the rock to fit over new work boxes if you are doing your own dry wall , I got answers like if you cant hit the holes you need to look for another line of work , I never said i couldnt hit the hole . did I? I said it was easier with remodel cans . A few remarks like that and I started to snap back .

jetlag

Well youre welcome I guess. :roll:

All the advice you were given was useful and accurate. The fact that you don't agree with it doesn't change that.

i didnt disagree I just never got any straight answers,, Example, lets say you asked what is good distance above the floor to place rec outlets and you got blasted with , well it cant be answered without more info,, In a basement its best to put them over 4 ft in case you put sheets of plywood against the wall it wont hide them and then another reply was a kitchen counter has to be between the top of counter and no more than 20'' above, and another said if you go more than 6 ft high the rec can not be counted as a required rec.. Is all that usefull and helpful ? yes , was it fair to the person asking the info ? no he wanted a nornal condition in a regular room , a simple 12'' above the floor is all that was needed , but he never got that

M4gery

You should be barred from the forum for statements like that. I can disagree with anybody I want

Wow, it took you two days to come back and say that? This is the second time you quoted that post.

You have the right to your opinion, please ask a moderator to review both of our posts and ban the person who deserves it more.

Status
Not open for further replies.