horn sounds when power is lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

reggiedb213

I'm trying to install a horn to sound once the power is turned off, please tell me the easiest way to make this happen. Right now i have a warning light which turns off once the timer turns off but i don't always see the light so i want a bell to sound. Please help. Thank you

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I'm trying to install a horn to sound once the power is turned off, please tell me the easiest way to make this happen. Right now i have a warning light which turns off once the timer turns off but i don't always see the light so i want a bell to sound. Please help. Thank you

Try one of these these and one of these. The adapter plate turns 120AC to 24DC to power one horn/strobe. You should hear that with no problem! The light will be pretty visible too.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!!

Last edited:

dicklaxt

The scenario is unclear to me ,the power is on to what and do you want the horn interlocked to another circuit,,,,,need some clarification.

dick

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Oh, wait, you said the light goes off when you need the alarm. Okay, that's easy enough:

Wire a relay with a N/C contact in series with a power supply and a matching alarm, and the coil in parallel with your light.

When the light is off, the alarm is on.

dicklaxt

The OP also said he wanted the horn to blow when the power went off,so if the power is off whats driving the horn?

Options

1.DC horn

2.pneumatic horn

3.all power is not off just the light circuit is off

4. horn is on a UPS or EM backup

5 lots of possibilities

:):grin::):grin::):grin::-?:-?

dick

charlietuna

EASY? Buy a small ups unit and a 120 volt relay and a 120 volt horn. Wire the relay to energize the horn when the power goes out. The power source to the relay coil would be building power.

MisterCMK

Use a 12 or 24VDC horn or notification device of your choice. Then use a power supply with battery backup. Add a RIB relay so when the power fails the noise maker sounds. Down and dirty and cheap. No supervision of anything but how much do they want to pay?

broadgage

An even cheaper solution is to buy a cheap emergency light that is intended to light automaticly in case of power failure.
Remove or dissconect the lamp(s) and connect instead a noisemaker of your choice, taking care that this is of the correct voltage and draws no more current than the lamps.
If you wish to silence the alarm before the power is restored, then fit a push to break switch in one of the battery leads.
Pushing this will silence the alarm, it wont resume sounding when you release the switch because the internal circuitry will prevent this.
When power is restored, it will work again as before without having to reset or restore anything, unlike a latching switch which might be left turned off.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Rube Goldberg had a drawing just for this application if I find it I'll post.
With out it you need the em light idea or seperate power for the horn and a pam relay

Status
Not open for further replies.