Dimmed ceiling light on one circuit causes flicker in other lighting circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

HPorchenzo

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum. I am troubleshooting an issue in my residence. The house was built in the 60's but has entirely new wiring from upgrades done over the years, most recently a large project which removed old alunimum branch circuits and a basement renovation with all new copper. Recently I installed new dimmable LED fixtures (CREE CR6) in my office which is downstairs (Room #1 in attached diagram). Upstairs in my bedroom is a single 3-bulb incandescent ceiling fixture on a dimmer (Room #2 in attached diagram). I observed one evening that ALL of the LED lights in the office started flickering at the same time and same intensity. With some troubleshooting I discovered that when the bedroom light is dimmed down perhaps 1/3 of the way from off, this causes the flicker downstairs; when the bedroom light is turned up to full brightness OR turned off, the flickering completely stops downstairs. As well, I had observed some flickering from my porch lights intermittently in the past and didn't know why, I can now correlate the porch light flicker to the bedroom fixture as well. The bedroom light and affected flickering lights are all on different circuits. To help illustrate the wiring I drew a diagram which is attached. Can you experts suggest the next steps I can follow to continue troubleshooting this to resolution? All of my wiring was done under permit by a licensed electrician, and if this turns out to be an issue I cannot resolve it help to gather more information which I can share with him to resolve this issue. Many thanks in advance.

electrical flicker.jpg

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.