Exterior lighting control detail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

Does anyone has any good electrical detail/wiring diagram of combination photo-cell/time clock to control a lighting contactor (serve exterior lighting circuits)? (i.e. photocell on, time clock off)

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
You want the light to come on at dusk and turn off a couple of hours later? Why not get a timed photocontrol going to a contactor? Leave the clock out.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't have a diagram but just run the feed to the time clock, from the clock to the photocell, then photocell to the light.

anbm

I don't have a diagram but just run the feed to the time clock, from the clock to the photocell, then photocell to the light.

In order photo-cell to override time clock (for example in winter, we get darker earlier),
do you think we should wire them parallel instead of series?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
No diagram, but....
we have always made a slight modification to the time clock separating the motor leads from the contact leads (necessary on clocks like Intermatic T101); wire the motor to "Line" so it runs all the time.
Run line to the photocell, then photocell "load" thru the time clock contacts.

Using this method we set the clock "on" tripper to 2 p.m. "off" as desired.
Then at dusk, the photocell closes and the light turn on. They turn off at
the desired time.
This compensates for time changes of dusk.

sgunsel

Astronomical timers that automatically adjust for varying daylight hours are available and are inexpensive. They can be programed to start at dusk and turn off at a specific time, or many other combinations. Very easy to install and use.

Status
Not open for further replies.