Linear Fluorescent Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davelh66

I was working on some existing lights in a building. They are suspended from a drop ceiling with steel cables and connected end to end. Each lighting circuit is 20 amps, 277 volts. The lights are fed with 12/2 MC cable to a junction box and then a rubber cord (16 awg) from the box, down to the fixture. The wiring through the fixtures is 18 AWG. My question is - Is the 18 AWG wire between the fixtures legal, or should it be 12 AWG wire per the 20 amp circuit? Thanks.

iwire

Staff member
I was working on some existing lights in a building. They are suspended from a drop ceiling with steel cables and connected end to end. Each lighting circuit is 20 amps, 277 volts. The lights are fed with 12/2 MC cable to a junction box and then a rubber cord (16 awg) from the box, down to the fixture. The wiring through the fixtures is 18 AWG. My question is - Is the 18 AWG wire between the fixtures legal, or should it be 12 AWG wire per the 20 amp circuit? Thanks.

I would bet that is factory wiring with quick connectors for assembly?

If so the NEC does not apply.

If it is field wiring than 240.5(B)(2) might apply which allows up to 50' of 18 AWG.

Status
Not open for further replies.