3/8 fixture stud

Status
Not open for further replies.

relbas

We can I locate the weigth rating of 3/8 fixture stud or 3/8 to 3/8 hickey?
this is an ups product code 740265602396 for the hickey

copper chopper

there seems to be alot of variasions on this wheather or not theres a nut on top or above the hickey and the thickness of the stud and the hickey.... in most cases it seems to be 25 lbs... but we need more info to be able to narrow it down.. did this come with a fixture do you have a manufacture name.....

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Is this a crow's foot that is mounted to wood or is the fixture stud mounted to the box only.

22913.jpg

iwire

Staff member
That is based on the outlet box capacity, I think. That is why I asked about the crows foot. I would think the hickey can hold more than 50 lbs. when used with a crows foot but maybe not.

I think they are being purposely vague and without more info I would not exceed the 50 pounds mentioned for the outlet box.

50 pounds is a significant fixture.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Why do they call it a "hickey"? Or better worded, where did the term hickey come from?
There are many items in the electrical trade that are called hickey's. I am guessing they couldn't come up with a name so it was the do-hickey. We used to call the rigid hand ipe benders a hickey

18104_medium.jpg

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
There are many items in the electrical trade that are called hickey's. I am guessing they couldn't come up with a name so it was the do-hickey. We used to call the rigid hand ipe benders a hickey

18104_medium.jpg

I'm sure they had a name, we just couldn't remember it or didn't know it in the first place. I have a couple of guys I know that refer to reducing washers as "uh-oh" rings. You can guess how they came up with that name... :lol:

relbas

The application is a concreet octagon 6" deep box with the cover that has a 3/8 treaded stud
I need to extend the stud down to the suface of the ceiling
I did use 2 hickeys with a 3/8 nuppell and I did use 2 nuts to secure the treads
The weigth of the shandolier is 73 lbs

Last edited:

relbas

By rewing the web site it states that the box has to be rated 50Lbs and not a hickey
I dont see the rating of the hickey itself. Sorry but I can not find it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.