LED's/Dimmers/GFI

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I don't have all the details on this situation yet. Guys at church set up a Christmas tree on the roof, a string of lights kind of tree. They had a lighting ceremony last night. I was not able to attend & see things. Lights are LED's & lighting tech had them on dimmers. He said they tripped GFCI receps on the roof several times. I know a couple of the receps are aging out & I need to replace them soon. I was told when 1 tripped, the little button popped all the way out of the recep. Fortunately, the reset button stayed intact, etc.

Have any of you seen issues with LED type dimmers tripping GFCI's? If so, is a breaker more stable, as with appliances? I told them I'd check it out. If we need it, I can feed a new ckt or 2 to the roof & set up a pedestal with 1 or more ckts.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
not personally, I do know that some 2 wire devices do sink voltage to ground, enough of these will cause a trip of a GFCI or AFci

n1ist

Occupation
Principal Electrical Engineer
This happens often with Christmas lights when wrapped on a grounded metal frame (like a tomato cage stuck in the dirt) Could be from water getting in to the back of the sockets.
/mike

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
What they have is a "tree" made with parachute cord. A tall metal truss stands straight up about 20 ft, a truss used to hand stage lights. Parachute cords run from top down to cinder block anchors. Strings of LED bulbs gently tie wrapped to cords.

They made it work by splitting between other outlets; I suspect the 1 tripped is old & on last legs. If we do that every year, I will set up a pedestal on the roof with 4 ckts, each on a GFCI breaker, as breakers are more reliable in my experience. Costly for sure.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
What they have is a "tree" made with parachute cord. A tall metal truss stands straight up about 20 ft, a truss used to hand stage lights. Parachute cords run from top down to cinder block anchors. Strings of LED bulbs gently tie wrapped to cords.

They made it work by splitting between other outlets; I suspect the 1 tripped is old & on last legs. If we do that every year, I will set up a pedestal on the roof with 4 ckts, each on a GFCI breaker, as breakers are more reliable in my experience. Costly for sure.
How old are the lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.