Sending celluar signal to an ethernet port instead of the typical method.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aelectricalman

I am sending data from a collector via an attached ethernet port out to the web. On this energy monitoring system there is only an ethernet port. We can not connect to the customers ethernet, modems, routers or computer systems. Due to security we are stand alone. I need to be able to take the data, send it through the ethernet cable to some "device", and into a cellular device which sends it out to our website. There can be no computer between the collector and the mifi device. I would even be open to a device that does this all in one swipe. I am referring to the all illusive Mifi with built in ethernet port

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I am sending data from a collector via an attached ethernet port out to the web. On this energy monitoring system there is only an ethernet port. We can not connect to the customers ethernet, modems, routers or computer systems. Due to security we are stand alone. I need to be able to take the data, send it through the ethernet cable to some "device", and into a cellular device which sends it out to our website. There can be no computer between the collector and the mifi device. I would even be open to a device that does this all in one swipe. I am referring to the all illusive Mifi with built in ethernet port

Do security concsrns rule out using an ethernet to w-fi adapter to connect to the cellular hot-spot?

aelectricalman

It just can not attach in any way to the existing internet because of personal information that is transmitted. It is a crisis center funded by government.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It just can not attach in any way to the existing internet because of personal information that is transmitted. It is a crisis center funded by government.

In that case you should be able to use a broadband hot spot like the Verizon My-Fi and an Ethernet to W-Fi adapter. Configure them to a channel that does not conflict with local W-Fi and set up an encryption key unique to those two devices..
I guess the data collector either does not support encryption or does not implement strong enough encryption?
WPA 2 with a long random key should be enough to satisfy any privacy concerns.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Sounds like you are talking about a cellular ethernet modem or gateway...

https://www.google.com/search?q=cel...7&sourceid=chrome&espvd=215&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=cel...9&sourceid=chrome&espvd=215&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
get a Cradlepoint gateway
Uses 4G cellular sim card. They work fine and you need wifi.

Status
Not open for further replies.