Fire Alarm & BMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

I have a few standard fire alarm devices but then there is one triangle that bays BMS in it. This is not shown on the symbol list. Is there ever a tie into the BMS from the fa system and how is this achieved. I know this ties into AHU's etc. thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MichaelGP3

Occupation
Fire Alarm Technician
This - having a FA system's dry contact(s) signal a BMS input - is frequently specified, sometimes just as another means of annunciation. Sometimes this will trigger a 'fire mode' within the BMS software. I've worked in facilities where the FA control fans & dampers through hardwired means (when present, the Firefighters Override Panel sometimes being part of the FA and sometimes not) while at the same time these functions are being performed redundantly via the BMS software.

iwire

Staff member
Common for us, generally calls the lighting on but can be multiple points with multiple functions such as smoke evacuation or pressurization.

nhfire77

Global RTU shut down can be accomplished via BMS, single addressable relay adjacent to the BMS cabinet. I abhor the idea, due to hvac be able to cut a single unsupervised wire or remotely overriding the input, but is cheaper and does simplify wiring and coordination.

I like to tie security in to lighting. Being able to light an entire facility instantly upon alarm is an effective tool.

tbballou

I have always gone this route,
fire alarm system shuts down the individual unit via relay at unit,
fire alarm sends general signal to BMS, telling there is an alarm in the building this is to justify any reports on the BMS of units not working.

The overall intent is to not push a fire threw a building.

The BMS is in now way as regulated to the extent fire alarm manufactures, battery back up, circuit integrity, and on and on.

Keep your life safety system interfaces as clean and thought out as you can everything needs to be listed and installed for it's intended purpose.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Global RTU shut down can be accomplished via BMS, single addressable relay adjacent to the BMS cabinet. I abhor the idea, due to hvac be able to cut a single unsupervised wire or remotely overriding the input, but is cheaper and does simplify wiring and coordination.

I like to tie security in to lighting. Being able to light an entire facility instantly upon alarm is an effective tool.

Global RTU shutdown can also be achieved by daisy-chaining the duct smoke detectors. I recall an install sheet from System Sensor that allowed you to hook together 10 or 50 units, depending on the model. Crazy, but I suppose a big-box store might have that many.

nhfire77

Global RTU shutdown can also be achieved by daisy-chaining the duct smoke detectors. I recall an install sheet from System Sensor that allowed you to hook together 10 or 50 units, depending on the model. Crazy, but I suppose a big-box store might have that many.

They usually do have 40+. The thing with that is sleeving in/out of 20+RTU's is a PITA. Individual relays at each unit is cheaper to install and troubleshoot.

Hvac techs occasionally have a tendancy to disconnect when they do not know what the wire is for.

ron

I only allow this to happen if the BMS is also UL listed as a smoke control system equipment. If not, the UL listed fire alarm control must do the shut down of the fans. Supplemental notification to the BMS is a good idea, since it allows the BMS guys to change to an alternate sequence if it is a critical system for plant operations.

nhfire77

I only allow this to happen if the BMS is also UL listed as a smoke control system equipment. If not, the UL listed fire alarm control must do the shut down of the fans. Supplemental notification to the BMS is a good idea, since it allows the BMS guys to change to an alternate sequence if it is a critical system for plant operations.

I agree, it's not something I endorse and that's a good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.