Fire Alarm Smoke Detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

zodiack

We are wiring for a new elevator. 3 Story . I was told we need smoke detectors. Is there any instants where line voltage smoke detectors are used. I know we need one in shaft and machine room and also one of each of the 3 lobbys. Assume line voltage is used. These would than be interconnect to there equipment.
Has line line voltage been used?? Or Can line voltage Smoke detectors be relayed interconnected into there equipment

This is an older building with a gong system in place. Just a Pull Station and a Bell. Given the addition of this new elevator structure. I am wondering if the fire marshall make them up grade the whole building.

Is the proper installation have to be smoke detectors going to a fire alarm panel interconnect to there equipment

Thanks

nhfire77

The line voltage devices you are referring to are smoke 'alarms' by definition, not smoke 'detectors'. See 72 for the details on the difference. No that is not permissible.

If a fire alarm system is not required, a fire panel just for elevator service might work. But, you'd need to really check in to the building code and with the AHJ.

Last edited:

masterinbama

Believe it or not, I have found that the elevator companies representatives a lot of time know more about what is required than some building officials. You need to get them, the Fire Marshall and the building department together and let them tell you what to do.

zodiack

Fire Alarm

Fire Alarm

Thank you for the feed back. I will call the local town and ask some questions.

tbballou

Thank you for the feed back. I will call the local town and ask some questions.

No on the 110 smoke alarms,

What is the occupancy of the building?

The existing building is the common older type of sprinkler system covering the whole building
with only one main flow switch attached to a water gong?

Not knowing any of the above, at the least a control panel to meet all your elevator detection and control requirements, and then emergency evacuation signals.

If they can afford to put an elevator in an existing building don't miss your opportunity to up sell your potential scope of work. Small money to install scalable fire alarm system to meet the requirements for the whole building, to be installed now with the elevator project or latter in phases.

Status
Not open for further replies.