NYC Strobe light mounting height

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlas Shrugs

I was taught that they are to be mounted 80"-96" AFF. Now I am being told that in NYC they are to be mounted 80" AFF center of the box, no exception.
Has anyone experience with this in NYC?
Perhaps where can I get a copy of NYC code amendments?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've never receiced a defintive answer but it's either 80" AFF to the center or 80" AFF to the bottom of the device. I've always used 80" AFF to the center.

dhalleron

National fire alarm code requires the entire lens to be within 80 and 96 inches aff. 80 inches to the center would mean part of the strobe is not within that range. This could be just another example of a jurisdiction hell bent on making their own rule. They can't just use a code that was already created.

NFPA 72 2013:
18.5.5 Appliance Location.
18.5.5.1* Wall-mounted appliances shall be mounted such
that the entire lens is not less than 80 in. (2.03 m) and not
greater than 96 in. (2.44 m) above the finished floor or at the
mounting height specified using the performance-based alternative
of 18.5.5.6.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
National fire alarm code requires the entire lens to be within 80 and 96 inches aff. 80 inches to the center would mean part of the strobe is not within that range. This could be just another example of a jurisdiction hell bent on making their own rule. They can't just use a code that was already created.

NFPA 72 2013:
18.5.5 Appliance Location.
18.5.5.1* Wall-mounted appliances shall be mounted such
that the entire lens is not less than 80 in. (2.03 m) and not
greater than 96 in. (2.44 m) above the finished floor or at the
mounting height specified using the performance-based alternative
of 18.5.5.6.

Thanks for the reference, to the best of my knowledge NYC certainly wouldn't allow 96", then again maybe they would. :)

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
My default is to tell my techs to mount the bottom of the 4x4 box at 84". There is no strobe appliance I know of that won't comply with the requirement when subsequently mounted to said box. At that height, you'll also clear any door frame unless it has really funky trim.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I took a quick look but couldn't find any info. You would think for a city with 8 million people this information would be easily obtainable by searching the Internet. :roll:

See here for the Appendix Q modifications to NFPA 72 2002 applicable to NYC. No modification of the mounting height for visible appliances have been made by NYC.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thanks for the clarification and the info. I can't wait unit I see our company fire alarm experts who insist that 80" AFF to the center of the device is code. :)

Atlas Shrugs

907.9 Alarm notification appliances. Alarm notification appliances listed for their purpose shall be provided.

907.9.1 Visible alarms. Visible alarm notification appliances shall be provided in accordance with Sections 907.9.1.1 through 907.9.1.3.

Exception: Visible alarm notification appliances shall not be required in exits.
907.9.1.1 Public and common areas. Visible alarm notification appliances shall be provided in public areas and common areas.
907.9.1.2 Employee work areas. Where employee work areas have audible alarm coverage, the wiring systems shall be designed so that visible alarm notification appliances can be integrated into the alarm system.
907.9.1.3 Groups R-1. Group R-1 dwelling units in accordance with Table 907.9.1.3 shall be provided with a visible alarm notification appliance, activated by both the in-room smoke detector and the building fire alarm system.

907.9.2 Audible alarms. Audible alarm notification appliances shall be provided and shall sound a distinctive sound that is not to be used for any purpose other than that of a fire alarm. The audible alarm notification appliances shall provide a sound pressure level of 15 decibels (dBA) above the average ambient sound level or 5 dBA above the maximum sound level having a duration of at least 60 seconds, whichever is greater, in every occupied space within the building. The minimum sound pressure levels shall be: 70 dBA in occupancies in Groups R and I-1; 90 dBA in mechanical equipment rooms and 60 dBA in other occupancies. The maximum sound pressure level for audible alarm notification appliances shall be 120 dBA at the minimum hearing distance from the audible appliance. Where the average ambient noise is greater than 105 dBA, visible alarm notification appliances shall be provided in accordance with NFPA72 and audible alarm notification appliances shall not be required to provide a maximum sound pressure level above 120 dBA.

I believe this answers the question. Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.