Smoke Detector for Control Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I have a control panel with PLCs, batteries, relays, its about 7 ft tall and 3 ft sq. I would like to install a smoke detector and tie it into the PLC for alarming. The smoke detector would be 24V with a dry contract alarm output
One we have used before is a Sentrol 449CSRT. Is there a better choice or is this one OK?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I have a control panel with PLCs, batteries, relays, its about 7 ft tall and 3 ft sq. I would like to install a smoke detector and tie it into the PLC for alarming. The smoke detector would be 24V with a dry contract alarm output
One we have used before is a Sentrol 449CSRT. Is there a better choice or is this one OK?

It should be fine. If you have 120VAC available in the box, consider a standard smoke alarm with battery backup. They can be had with relays, and you'll get local annunciation with it as well.

MichaelGP3

Occupation
Fire Alarm Technician
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the answer to this depend on whether there is an existing fire alarm system installed in the facility where the control panel in question is located? If there is, the smoke detector the OP is considering adding needs to be connected to that existing system.

Somewhat off topic, but there is a recall for certain date codes (manufacture dates of 2013 & 14) for the smoke detector Tom has used before.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.