Splicing RG59

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

I need to splice an RG59 cable that was accidentally cut. It is for a camera system. Is it as easy as putting new F type terminations and screwing them onto a threaded connector used for RG6? I tried that already and it did not work. Maybe it was the push-on connectors or the twist on connectors (I tried both). I thought both seemed like a bad connection. I could not get the signal to go through the splice. I'm going back tomorrow with the snap and seal F type type tomorrow. Should this work or am I using the wrong parts?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I need to splice an RG59 cable that was accidentally cut. It is for a camera system. Is it as easy as putting new F type terminations and screwing them onto a threaded connector used for RG6? I tried that already and it did not work. Maybe it was the push-on connectors or the twist on connectors (I tried both). I thought both seemed like a bad connection. I could not get the signal to go through the splice. I'm going back tomorrow with the snap and seal F type type tomorrow. Should this work or am I using the wrong parts?

Type F RG-59 connectors (specifically made for standard RG-59, if that is what you have and not the quad shield cable used by CTV installers) should indeed work. And threaded connectors should also be OK, since they do not depend on the exact type of cable, as long as it is 75 ohm impedance.

It may be that you are not assembling the connectors correctly. You do need to leave some of the center core wire projecting past the end of the connector to reach to the matching spring contacts inside the barrel connector.
But I wonder if perhaps the cable was actually damaged in another place at the same time. Check for continuity on shield and core in both directions, as well as making sure that there is not a short between shield and core on either side.

They do make screw-on splice connectors as well, but I have never used them.

If the video cable run is very long, the additional signal loss of the pair of F connectors may be an issue, but if it is you should have a signal quality symptom, not a complete failure.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Is it as easy as putting new F type terminations and screwing them onto a threaded connector used for RG6?

Yup. And that threaded connector is called a "barrel" and it can be used to connect any F connector to another, nothing to do with RG6. So to answer your question you ain't doing something right. Likely you aren't using the right F connectors or even more likely you aren't preping the cable correctly and installing them correctly.

-Hal

mkgrady

Yup. And that threaded connector is called a "barrel" and it can be used to connect any F connector to another, nothing to do with RG6. So to answer your question you ain't doing something right. Likely you aren't using the right F connectors or even more likely you aren't preping the cable correctly and installing them correctly.

-Hal
Thanks hbiss, I did struggle to decide what to call the "barrel". I used both a push on and twist on cable connector and each one seemed really difficult to install but they were made for the cable. I have more faith in the snap and seal type that I will try tomorrow. My biggest concern was that the method I was trying was flawed. Now that I am assured the method is sound, I will approach it like it should work if I do it correctly.

mkgrady

I went back today and found one splice needed to be re terminated. The snap and seal type installed easily and worked well. The second splice seemed to be bad until I started troubleshooting. I rang out the cable for shorts and continuity. Spliced cable was good. That's when I found one of the cameras had failed. I replaced the camera (I had a spare) and everything was good.

Status
Not open for further replies.