PA or Sound system shutdown during fire alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgelectric

Which method would be most appropriate to shutdown the above mentioned systems during a fire alarm condition with a relay?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Which method would be most appropriate to shutdown the above mentioned systems during a fire alarm condition with a relay?
When you "shut down" the system, I would make sure it does not prevent use of the system for voice announcements. Unless there is a separate emergency notification system.

bgelectric

When you "shut down" the system, I would make sure it does not prevent use of the system for voice announcements. Unless there is a separate emergency notification system.

No it would not as the Fire alarm system is MNS as well. Im assuming killing power would not be the best way to go about it.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Im assuming killing power would not be the best way to go about it.

That's exactly how it's done. Larger systems will have separate dedicated circuits (often with turn-on sequencers) for the amps so all you need to do is kill power there. On smaller systems you just kill everything.

Now I'm thinking about a venue where the sound is provided by the band, usually via a PDU. I suppose in that case you would have to kill power to those circuits.

-Hal

CT Tom

I do work with some AV companies that do commercial work. They require a connection from the alarm system that gives them a 12/24v contact closure on fault. That triggers a sequence in the AV system for what needs to go off.

Completely shutting off power also gets called out as well.

I would ask the AV company if they are set up for power on sequencing before you go ahead and just do that, or if the AHJ requires it, send them a copy of the requirement and let them deal with any additional equipment needs.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
We usually use contactors, either on the branch circuits or on the feed to the power panel, powered via 24dc coil. The FACP provides the power to pull the contactors in. Anything goes wrong, the band goes quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.