Fire alarm Relay for Automatic Doors in a Hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to find-out if Relay associated with automatic doors are allowed to be in the door frame and once the cover is on the relay is not longer visible and therefore hard to check the status of it.
Also not sure what are the Code requirements in regards that how far the relay is allowed to be from protected area.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I would like to find-out if Relay associated with automatic doors are allowed to be in the door frame and once the cover is on the relay is not longer visible and therefore hard to check the status of it.
Also not sure what are the Code requirements in regards that how far the relay is allowed to be from protected area.

Is this relay to unlock secure doors (access control) or close fire/smoke doors in corridors? I'm not sure if Cali has any amendments, but NFPA 72 says the device has to remain accessible for maintenance or repair. If that's just popping off a cover, I don't see a problem. If you have to hatchet out some dry wall, now there's an issue.

Maximum distance the relay can be from Controlling Hardware

Maximum distance the relay can be from Controlling Hardware

Is this relay to unlock secure doors (access control) or close fire/smoke doors in corridors? I'm not sure if Cali has any amendments, but NFPA 72 says the device has to remain accessible for maintenance or repair. If that's just popping off a cover, I don't see a problem. If you have to hatchet out some dry wall, now there's an issue.

The relay Module is set to Unlock the Automatic doors in the event of a Fire Alarm signal, but in that particular door frame resides a 120 volt wiring to close to the relay and I believe that that is not allowed.
The way I see this is that they are using this compartment as a raceway when it shouldn't be.
the main concern is that the device is not visible nor accessible for maintenance.
I been looking at the NFPA 72 but not able to locate the information that the device is to be accessible for maintenance purposes and 5 feet away from controlling Hardware.
Can you please advise.

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
The relay Module is set to Unlock the Automatic doors in the event of a Fire Alarm signal, but in that particular door frame resides a 120 volt wiring to close to the relay and I believe that that is not allowed.
The way I see this is that they are using this compartment as a raceway when it shouldn't be.
the main concern is that the device is not visible nor accessible for maintenance.
I been looking at the NFPA 72 but not able to locate the information that the device is to be accessible for maintenance purposes and 5 feet away from controlling Hardware.
Can you please advise.

Automatic Doors are usually installed as complete assembly. There are technicians specially trained to install them. They are mostly plugged-in units and the controller is mounted on a regular 2 x 4 switch box.

They are key-operated and have barrel bolt style locking mechanism for security when the building is unoccupied.

In case of power failure or fire alarm condition, they can be forced open which will be the equivalent of a manual sliding door.

The only part that the electrician needs to do is provide power within 5 feet of the door. Since this is a cord connected device the length of the cord is spelled out by NEC Art 410.
The exact location-- as to which side of the door the outlet outlet should be installed, is specified by the manufacturer.

The top portion of the door jamb, is where the electrical and mechanical components are mounted along with Infra Red sensor, the cog belt and the motor that is similar to car door window opener.

This door jamb housing is similar to the tubular fluorescent fixture housing where the ballast is hidden so this is not using the housing as a raceway.

For more details on how Automatic doors are installed Google "Holux" it's a German manufacturer. I'm not endorsing their product. . . just for reference.

Fire Smoke dampers Requirements

Fire Smoke dampers Requirements

Hi, I would like to know if Fire smoke Dampers that are above ceiling require remote alarm indicator.
this Smoke Dampers are part of the Dedicated Smoke Control System in a Hospital.
Can you please advice

Status
Not open for further replies.