Residential Outside Mounted Ethernet Devices and Speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

amattas

Do outside mounted PoE devices (Cameras and Access Points) and Speakers need to have a grounding block to earth installed between indoors and outdoors? The manufacturer of the ethernet devices specify "[FONT=&quot]Shielded Category 5 (or above) cabling should be used for all wired Ethernet connections and should be grounded through the AC ground of the PoE," this seems like it handles problems caused by ESD but doesn't address requirements in section 800. Someone else indicated to me that devices under the eves are technically considered indoors and not required to have the additional primary protection device.
[/FONT]

The scenarios for this install are

POE cameras mounted on brick facade of residential building
POE cameras mounted so soffit under eves of residential building
POE cameras mounted to deck attached to residential building
Speakers mounted to deck attached to residential building.

(2014 edition of code here)

amattas

A device mounted under the eve is still out doors. You would need to follow the manufacturer's instructions.

So since I typically deal with low voltage inside, and switches (I usually do networking and retrofit automation), is the proper way to address this to install a grounding block next to the camera (can this be interior, or does it have to be mounted exterior), and connect that to a secondary ground psike bonded to the primary ground spike? (This seems odd to me because of the aditional chance of induction voltage to the camera).

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
The scenarios for this install are

POE cameras mounted on brick facade of residential building
POE cameras mounted so soffit under eves of residential building
POE cameras mounted to deck attached to residential building
Speakers mounted to deck attached to residential building.

In my opinion none require protection at the device. Your manufacturers instructions specify shielded UTP which will automatically be grounded back at the POE switch assuming it has a grounding line cord and you use the proper shielded RJ-45 plugs on all cable ends.

Really, nothing more needs to be done.

-Hal

amattas

In my opinion none require protection at the device. Your manufacturers instructions specify shielded UTP which will automatically be grounded back at the POE switch assuming it has a grounding line cord and you use the proper shielded RJ-45 plugs on all cable ends.

Really, nothing more needs to be done.

-Hal

Thanks, so this doesn't fall under the requirement that twisted pairs need to be grounded going into the house? Or does that only apply if it's part of a broader external network like a TelCo?

I believe the patch panel at this home was also grounded with 8AWG to a water line (although I'm almost 100% sure that's not allowed by code anymore), so it's likely going to reach ground before it gets to the switch as long as shielded connectors are properly used.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
It would only be required if a cable was run between buildings or originated from outside plant.

I believe the patch panel at this home was also grounded with 8AWG to a water line (although I'm almost 100% sure that's not allowed by code anymore), so it's likely going to reach ground before it gets to the switch as long as shielded connectors are properly used.

It would have to be a patch panel designed for shielded twisted pair. Ground could go to a cold water pipe or the receptacle ground supplying the equipment.

-Hal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.