Fire Alarm Addressable modules in Class 1 Div 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddelec2

At a pumping station we are remotely mounting the addressable module outside of the classified areas, as that wiring is supervised by the modules end of line resistors. My issue is that the elevator machine room and shaft are Class 1 Div 2. Any suggestions on what to do with the recall and damper relays that are not listed for Class 1 and complying with the NFPA 72 21.2.4 3' rule?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
At a pumping station we are remotely mounting the addressable module outside of the classified areas, as that wiring is supervised by the modules end of line resistors. My issue is that the elevator machine room and shaft are Class 1 Div 2. Any suggestions on what to do with the recall and damper relays that are not listed for Class 1 and complying with the NFPA 72 21.2.4 3' rule?

Mount them in an XP enclosure.

ryant35

As mentioned above an explosion proof enclosure is your only option since the relays are required to be within 3' of the circuit you are controlling.

Is the elevator controller explosion proof too? I've never seen that before.

gadfly56

Occupation
As mentioned above an explosion proof enclosure is your only option since the relays are required to be within 3' of the circuit you are controlling.

Is the elevator controller explosion proof too? I've never seen that before.

I was wondering about that myself.

toddelec2

I was wondering about that myself.

Actually the elevator contractor submitted NEMA 4 and the engineer returned it Revise and Resubmit with the note "Per 14200 1.0.A.3. The entire elevator system shall be Class 1 Division 1 hazardous environment with NEMA 7 components." So haven't seen the resubmit yet. I had asked Simplex if they had issues with enclosing their modules in a NEMA 7 enclosure, but they are still chewing on it.

gadfly56

Occupation
Actually the elevator contractor submitted NEMA 4 and the engineer returned it Revise and Resubmit with the note "Per 14200 1.0.A.3. The entire elevator system shall be Class 1 Division 1 hazardous environment with NEMA 7 components." So haven't seen the resubmit yet. I had asked Simplex if they had issues with enclosing their modules in a NEMA 7 enclosure, but they are still chewing on it.

First, I doubt that Simplex will have an issue with the enclosure mounting.

Second, if the elevator contractor was as careless with his bid as he was with his submittal I see Chapter 11 or Chapter 7 in his future. What the heck kind of place needs a Class 1 Div I elevator???

Status
Not open for further replies.