door bell transformer location

Status
Not open for further replies.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Been pondering this one.

I think that you are permitted to mix line and low voltage in a box, as long as the only reason for the line voltage is to bring power to the power supply, and there are probably some rules for maintaining spacing between the wires.

Pictures of that Nutone transformer seem to show the low voltage wires coming out of the transformer on the back, and then optionally passing through the hole in the faceplate; I think they could be routed through a hole in the back of the device box. I think you could mount another transformer in a similar fashion.

-Jon

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I can't speak for the OP's situation, but I'll tell you about mine.

Two story house with no existing doorbell wiring. Currently they have a wireless video doorbell that they want to replace with a wired one because they don't like having to remove the wireless and put it on a charger.

There is an inside receptacle near the front door. My plan was to install a plastic two-gang cut-in box near the receptacle. The doorbell transformer would be installed inside this box and powered from the receptacle with NM run between the boxes. The box would have a blank cover possibly with slots/louvers to allow heat to escape. The low voltage cable would be fished to the doorbell location a few feet away to power the device. If an actual doorbell was desired/required in the circuit, it can be placed anywhere along the low voltage wire route.

Use on of those cut in boxes and use a plastic divider.

Bingo , done!

Status
Not open for further replies.