Fire rated door contact

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockyb

Hello all,

I have a fire inspector that is fighting me on our door contacts. They are installed in a fire rated steel door, I have been asked to provide a UL listing showing that it is fire rated, or replace it with one that is. I have had no luck confirming the fire rating (I don't believe it is). Below is a link to the UL listing for the current contact.

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/...n=versionless&parent_id=1073984183&sequence=1

My question is, can anyone recommend a fire rated contact?

Thanks in advance for your help.

GrayHair

Unless your switch is connected to the fire alarm or a fire alarm device, I'd say your inspector is over-reaching. If not and it needs to be listed, the manufacturer would say so and, more than likely, provide a sample manufacturer and part number.

I think my concern would be with "modifying" a listed assembly by installing a press-fit contact. I've seen contractors have to "eat" labeled doors because they "modified" them. Rare, but it happens.

Gary11734

Hello all,

I have a fire inspector that is fighting me on our door contacts. They are installed in a fire rated steel door, I have been asked to provide a UL listing showing that it is fire rated, or replace it with one that is. I have had no luck confirming the fire rating (I don't believe it is). Below is a link to the UL listing for the current contact.

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/...n=versionless&parent_id=1073984183&sequence=1

Is he asking for a fire rated doorknob too?

Rockyb

I agree with this, the problem is we regularly install both press fit contacts and request to exits on door frames for our access control system. In this case, they questioned the REX, and that led to the contact as well.

We may be heading towards eating the door frame.

Unless your switch is connected to the fire alarm or a fire alarm device, I'd say your inspector is over-reaching. If not and it needs to be listed, the manufacturer would say so and, more than likely, provide a sample manufacturer and part number.

I think my concern would be with "modifying" a listed assembly by installing a press-fit contact. I've seen contractors have to "eat" labeled doors because they "modified" them. Rare, but it happens.

Gary11734

Hello all,

I thought it was the DOOR that was fire rated? If it has a JB for the security box, then the DOOR was fire rated based on that design. What does the contact have to do with it.?

Status
Not open for further replies.