CAT 5 and CAT 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
So I am installing CAT 6 throughout a residential house for networking. Now I’m using CAT 6 port plates as well. I know the configuration on the plates is different then on a CAT 5. But I am curious the male eithernet end would it be wired different as well? If so does anyone know the configuration? I can’t find it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Yes, it is the same. The locations of the punch downs might differ though on the keystone jacks from CAT5 and depending on the manufacturer.

Male ends?? Now you are scaring me.

-Hal

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
Yes, it is the same. The locations of the punch downs might differ though on the keystone jacks from CAT5 and depending on the manufacturer.

Male ends?? Now you are scaring me.

-Hal

Yes one side is going to be port plates in the rooms and in the basement I am terminating eithernet male ends. I figured since the plates are wired different from CAT 5 plates the color pattern must also be different on the other end. Unless I’m mistaken?

Adamjamma

not sure but I thought cat 6 and cat 7 supposed to be backward compatible but just different layers of screening on them... so the wires themselves are identical, but cat 6 and cat 7 actually use all the wires not just half of them, and have extra positions for shielding or grounding of shield to be connected.
Don't have my internet books in this country, though.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
No! You don't ever want to crimp plugs if you can help it. Install a patch panel and use factory made patch cords from it of whatever length you need.

-Hal

hbiss

Occupation
EC
not sure but I thought cat 6 and cat 7 supposed to be backward compatible but just different layers of screening on them... so the wires themselves are identical, but cat 6 and cat 7 actually use all the wires not just half of them, and have extra positions for shielding or grounding of shield to be connected.
Don't have my internet books in this country, though.

Please! Don't confuse things! We're not talking about anything like that here.

-Hal

No! You don't ever want to crimp plugs if you can help it. Install a patch panel and use factory made patch cords from it of whatever length you need.

^^^^A winner^^^^

It takes a lot more time to make a good cable end than to punch down to a jack, especially for CAT6. Use jacks- follow the instructions/color code printed on the jack, test, get paid.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
There are two different standards (A and B?) for the correlation between the wire pairs and the jack pins. As far as I know both standards can be applied equally well to CAT5 and CAT6.
It is necessary to match the cable to the jack wiring so that the wires that make up a twisted pair on one side of the jack are paired on the other side and the pair number ends up the same at both ultimate end points.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
Good point, perhaps that was what is confusing the OP. The jacks and patch panel should be marked to indicate wiring for both 568A and B which has nothing to do with what cable you use. Really, the only difference between A and B is that the orange and green pairs are swapped. You can use either A or B, just make sure you keep it the same on both ends.

The PIA comes in if you use plugs. They aren't marked and you have to know how to wire them A or B.

In any case you should have at least some kind of wire mapper to test each drop after you completed it, otherwise there is no way of knowing whether your work is good.

-Hal

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The reason CAT-6 keystones have different terminal layouts is they attempt to keep the twisting continued even through the socket body for greater common-mode noise rejection.

The plugs are still wired orange-white/orange/green-white/blue/blue-white/green/brown-white/brown or green-white/green/orange-white/blue/blue-white/orange/brown-white/brown.

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
The homeowner didn’t purchase a patch board they purchased a eithernet port board. I did find the proper color configuration. Thank you everyone for the advice

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
yeah. a crimped male end on a cat 5,6,or 7 does not meet the
requirements of a compliant installation. doesn't matter if it
passes or not.

I’ve never had an issue with installing a male eithernet end on a CAT 5

Status
Not open for further replies.