FA Addressable Notification Appliances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shujinko

Are there any code requirements for addressable notification appliances in code (NFPA, IBC, Etc)? If so, please provide a code citation as I have been researching but cannot find anything.

ryant35

Are there any code requirements for addressable notification appliances in code (NFPA, IBC, Etc)? If so, please provide a code citation as I have been researching but cannot find anything.

There isn't. However there is a section in the NFPA handbook that discusses the higher starting voltage of the Simplex addressable notification (not by name) and to follow the manufacturer's documentation.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
What ryant35 said. You may find them in the spec for a particular project from time to time. However, in my opinion, addressable horn/strobes are a solution in search of a problem.

Gary11734

Why is this so? Please elaborate.

No reason to address notification devices. They also are in parallel with other up to a certain amperage that is governed by the panel. You put notifications devices in a zone, i.e., first floor, basement, etc...

As with a pull station or smoke, you want to know where the device was activated from so you know where the fire has actually occurred, which is relayed to the panel and shown in the text of graphic.

Of course, the Fire alarm manufactures would love to get this in the code to sell more crap. They must be talking to the AFCI guys!

ryant35

Simplex addressable notification is great for the following features:

- Self test, all notification appliances can be programmed to all activate once in the middle of the night and report back to the FACP that they all worked. Each device has visual & audible sensors.
- Walking test, present a magnet to an addressable notification appliance and the strobe will flash once and the horn or speaker will sound briefly. Great for occupancies like apartments and hotels where a 3am self test isn't good for residents.
- Trouble shooting, no trouble signal on NAC #3. You get a trouble report with the device type and the exact address and location.
- Mass notification, clear and amber lens strobes on the same circuits programmed to operate as one or the other.
- 29VDC starting voltage without a derating factor, longer runs with smaller wire due to a larger voltage drop range and a lower operating current due to the higher voltage.
- T-tap wiring, no more feed and returns into groups of devices. Saves wire.

Gary11734

Simplex addressable notification is great for the following features:

- Self test, all notification appliances can be programmed to all activate once in the middle of the night and report back to the FACP that they all worked. Each device has visual & audible sensors.
- Walking test, present a magnet to an addressable notification appliance and the strobe will flash once and the horn or speaker will sound briefly. Great for occupancies like apartments and hotels where a 3am self test isn't good for residents.
- Trouble shooting, no trouble signal on NAC #3. You get a trouble report with the device type and the exact address and location.
- Mass notification, clear and amber lens strobes on the same circuits programmed to operate as one or the other.
- 29VDC starting voltage without a derating factor, longer runs with smaller wire due to a larger voltage drop range and a lower operating current due to the higher voltage.
- T-tap wiring, no more feed and returns into groups of devices. Saves wire.

Simplex knows how to make all their devices obsolete so you have no shelf life. They are great at why owners want to rip their stuff out because you can't afford them after the initial install.

I didn't say it wasn't a product that worked, only you can't afford their future markups after the sell.

I used fenwal products for years. Same bases, same system. Those days are over... And, try to get these guys out to program the software when you need them.

Crummy service, high prices, and then you want to chuck them because you feel like you're getting ripped off after the sale. But, the product works as you described.

And finally, try getting the AHJ or engineer allowing you to T-Tap. They still want a class A loop.......

Gary11734

Class A loops are required in my state fire alarm code regardless of what Simplex says is allowed for their products, so it's no benefit.

What State are you located In?

I have been fighting class A/B loops on addressable devices for years. I gave up trying to tee tap. I can see a class A loop back to the panel, but not in and out at the device.... But some things will never die. It has always been a problem, and always will be. Now, they say the same on this new notification appliances...

Addressable horn/strobes are the new AFCI! What a load of bull... The manufactures will get this into the spec so they can monopolize the market as long as possible.

I would use FireLite everywhere I could until the FireLite system is too small for the application.

The Fire Alarm companies make good products, all of them. The guys at the top got a good gig going. Capitalism at its finest with some monopoly built in. Good for them. But, doesn't mean I don't go down without a fight if I have to use them...

ryant35

Simplex knows how to make all their devices obsolete so you have no shelf life. They are great at why owners want to rip their stuff out because you can't afford them after the initial install.

I didn't say it wasn't a product that worked, only you can't afford their future markups after the sell.

I used fenwal products for years. Same bases, same system. Those days are over... And, try to get these guys out to program the software when you need them.

Crummy service, high prices, and then you want to chuck them because you feel like you're getting ripped off after the sale. But, the product works as you described.

And finally, try getting the AHJ or engineer allowing you to T-Tap. They still want a class A loop.......

Also its no longer proprietary, new Autocall is compatible with everything Simplex except for smoke detectors. I left Simplex for an Autocall dealer and we are fixing all the service issues customers have with Simplex.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Also its no longer proprietary, new Autocall is compatible with everything Simplex except for smoke detectors. I left Simplex for an Autocall dealer and we are fixing all the service issues customers have with Simplex.

I have my opinion regarding Simplex, the company, but I like to keep that separate from my thoughts on their products.

ryant35

I have my opinion regarding Simplex, the company, but I like to keep that separate from my thoughts on their products.

Most people don't care for them, which is one of the reasons I no longer work there. But with the full Simplex product line available to Autocall dealers you have some more options for who installs and maintains your system.

peter d

What State are you located In?

I have been fighting class A/B loops on addressable devices for years. I gave up trying to tee tap. I can see a class A loop back to the panel, but not in and out at the device.... But some things will never die. It has always been a problem, and always will be. Now, they say the same on this new notification appliances...

RI, we have a unique fire alarm code. All class A for master box systems, all wiring in metal raceway or MC cable, we have a special color code, more device locations required than the NFPA 70, etc. Anyway, t-tapping of any kind is nor permitted, if you have to add or remove a device yo have to break the loop somewhere and go in and out.

Status
Not open for further replies.