GFCI Breaker for Pool Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPC PE

Does the NEC 2017 require a gfci circuit breaker to be used to feed pool lighting circuit if the lighting system in using a NSI Industries TPX300 pool light transformer?

The TPX300 is a step down transformer 120 primary / 14 v secondary.

680.23 (A) 3. Says GFCI breakers to be used branch circuits supplying luminaires operating at a voltage greater than the low-voltage contact limit.

Looking at the situation from the primary side one would say YES to the GFCI
Looking it from the secondary side one would say NO.

Advise

Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The primary side needs gfci protect however I have never seen gfci protection on the secondary side. We also gfci the line and that's all one can do.

BTw, welcome to the forum

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I have never seen a GFCI made for LV. Further, because the LV secondary is prohibited from being grounded (IE it's floating), if it should fault to something there would be no risk.

-Hal

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
The primary side needs gfci protect however I have never seen gfci protection on the secondary side. We also gfci the line and that's all one can do.

BTw, welcome to the forum

Does it ? The LV limit referred to in the article is 50v I believe; If you have less than that going to the shell of the pool I don’t believe a GFCI is required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
I have never seen a GFCI made for LV. Further, because the LV secondary is prohibited from being grounded (IE it's floating), if it should fault to something there would be no risk.

-Hal

interesting, was the intent on purpose?....~RJ~

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
I'm imagining a step potential applies for water, along with those immersed in it

that said the older industrial ungrounded deltas w/impedance shunts (230.82-4) comes to mind

one leg to ground was no thing....

~S~

Status
Not open for further replies.