GFCI Breaker for Pool Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GFCI Breaker for Pool Lights

Does the NEC 2017 require a gfci circuit breaker to be used to feed pool lighting circuit if the lighting system in using a NSI Industries TPX300 pool light transformer?

The TPX300 is a step down transformer 120 primary / 14 v secondary.

680.23 (A) 3. Says GFCI breakers to be used branch circuits supplying luminaires operating at a voltage greater than the low-voltage contact limit.

Looking at the situation from the primary side one would say YES to the GFCI
    Looking it from the secondary side one would say NO.

Advise

Thanks

The primary side needs gfci protect however I have never seen gfci protection on the secondary side. We also gfci the line and that's all one can do.

BTw, welcome to the forum
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

I have never seen a GFCI made for LV. Further, because the LV secondary is prohibited from being grounded (IE it's floating), if it should fault to something there would be no risk.

-Hal

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
        The primary side needs gfci protect however I have never seen gfci protection on the secondary side. We also gfci the line and that's all one can do.

BTw, welcome to the forum
        Does it ? The LV limit referred to in the article is 50v I believe; If you have less than that going to the shell of the pool I don’t believe a GFCI is required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Brought to you by Carl's Jr. ©

Comment

Originally posted by hbiss View Post
          I have never seen a GFCI made for LV. Further, because the LV secondary is prohibited from being grounded (IE it's floating), if it should fault to something there would be no risk.

-Hal
          interesting, was the intent on purpose?....~RJ~

Comment

Good question because it doesn't only apply to pool LV wiring.

-Hal

Comment

Originally posted by hbiss View Post
              Good question because it doesn't only apply to pool LV wiring.

-Hal
              hmmmm. well i have some thoughts on that, but would like to ask what yours are first Hal

~RJ~

Comment

Only think I can think of is minimizing the shock hazard. 48V can give you a good tingle.

-Hal

Comment

I'm imagining a step potential applies for water, along with those immersed in it

that said the older industrial ungrounded deltas w/impedance shunts (230.82-4) comes to mind

one leg to ground was no thing....

~S~

Comment

Working...
                  X