Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• romex jockey
    replied
    I'm imagining a step potential applies for water, along with those immersed in it

that said the older industrial ungrounded deltas w/impedance shunts (230.82-4) comes to mind

one leg to ground was no thing....

~S~

Leave a comment:

• hbiss
    replied
    Only think I can think of is minimizing the shock hazard. 48V can give you a good tingle.

-Hal

Leave a comment:

• romex jockey
    replied
    Originally posted by hbiss View Post
    Good question because it doesn't only apply to pool LV wiring.

-Hal
    hmmmm. well i have some thoughts on that, but would like to ask what yours are first Hal

~RJ~

Leave a comment:

• hbiss
    replied
    Good question because it doesn't only apply to pool LV wiring.

-Hal

Leave a comment:

• romex jockey
    replied
    Originally posted by hbiss View Post
    I have never seen a GFCI made for LV. Further, because the LV secondary is prohibited from being grounded (IE it's floating), if it should fault to something there would be no risk.

-Hal
    interesting, was the intent on purpose?....~RJ~

Leave a comment:

• brantmacga
    replied
    Originally posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    The primary side needs gfci protect however I have never seen gfci protection on the secondary side. We also gfci the line and that's all one can do.

BTw, welcome to the forum
    Does it ? The LV limit referred to in the article is 50v I believe; If you have less than that going to the shell of the pool I don’t believe a GFCI is required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• hbiss
    replied
    I have never seen a GFCI made for LV. Further, because the LV secondary is prohibited from being grounded (IE it's floating), if it should fault to something there would be no risk.

-Hal

Leave a comment:

• Dennis Alwon
    replied
    The primary side needs gfci protect however I have never seen gfci protection on the secondary side. We also gfci the line and that's all one can do.

BTw, welcome to the forum

Leave a comment:

• JPC PE
    started a topic GFCI Breaker for Pool Lights

GFCI Breaker for Pool Lights

Does the NEC 2017 require a gfci circuit breaker to be used to feed pool lighting circuit if the lighting system in using a NSI Industries TPX300 pool light transformer?

The TPX300 is a step down transformer 120 primary / 14 v secondary.

680.23 (A) 3. Says GFCI breakers to be used branch circuits supplying luminaires operating at a voltage greater than the low-voltage contact limit.

Looking at the situation from the primary side one would say YES to the GFCI
    Looking it from the secondary side one would say NO.

Advise

Thanks
Working...
X